Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tire/flare Laws by State

Old 12-25-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scouter4life
virtually no laws in AZ for what we do to our Jeeps. Flares, no flares, they don't care.
Au contraire, my friend. Doesn't apply unless your Jeep is lifted (OK. Could argue a Jeep is not a "pickup truck"). From Arizona Revised Statutes:

28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards
A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.
B. The splash guards:
1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.
2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.
3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.
4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.
5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.
6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.
C. This section does not apply to:
1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.
2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.
3. A single, tandem or triple axle trailer with fenders that are wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in maine i believe its illegal to have any rubber outside of the flares at all..a buddy of mine has a TJ on 35"s that he bought and he said he had to get new flares because of the rubber sticking out further. strange state sometimes
Old 12-26-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Au contraire, my friend. Doesn't apply unless your Jeep is lifted (OK. Could argue a Jeep is not a "pickup truck"). From Arizona Revised Statutes:

28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards
A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.
B. The splash guards:
1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.
2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.
3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.
4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.
5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.
6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.
C. This section does not apply to:
1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.
2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.
3. A single, tandem or triple axle trailer with fenders that are wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.
only applies to trucks, trailer, semitrailer or bus. A Jeep is not considered any of these, so the law does not apply. I've verified this with police officers with both city and DPS and they agree that there is no law for fenders in AZ for Jeeps (i.e. SUV's) or cars. A Jeep is not considered a Pick up and also this only deals with rear splash guards, not side flares.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidwm71
I heard in PA you have to have OEM flairs. You CAN NOT use aftermarket to cover wider tires. On the TJs some people were upgrading to Rubicon flairs because they are wider and OEM.

I don't live there but that is what I heard. Also you can not drive doorless in PA.
I called the PA. State Police about driving doorless.You Must have a seat belt for every passenger and You Must have your outside mirrors located on the body of the Jeep.I have passed many police and I even went to the state police barracks with the roof and doors off.There were cops standing outside when I pulled in and they never said a word.One asked if I liked the 4-door better than the 2-door.

Quick Reply: Tire/flare Laws by State