Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tire pressure sensor question...

Old 09-10-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure sensor question...

I am going to switch out my street and mud tires to keep from wearing the mudders out too quick. Do you guys who switch out tires put the tire sensors in both sets of wheels? Does the dinging go off after a while or continue to annoy the crap out of you?

How much do these things usually cost?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them on both my stock winter rims and on my good summer rims with my mudders.

I paid about $35/sensor.....but the tire shop was going to sell me a set for $70/sensor. I got the sensor online try one of our sponsors as they may give you a sweet deal on sensors. Look around and search for good deals on sensors.

If you don't put on the sensors you will get that annoying Ding and the lovely

(_!_) light on your dash!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

alrighty...thanks for the input!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by In5ane
I am going to switch out my street and mud tires to keep from wearing the mudders out too quick. Do you guys who switch out tires put the tire sensors in both sets of wheels? Does the dinging go off after a while or continue to annoy the crap out of you?

How much do these things usually cost?
If you are changing to a new set of wheels and the new wheels will take the sensors then you can have them transferred from one set of wheels to the other at the tire shop. Be careful with the Cragar Series 351 / 352 series of wheels because they will accept your sensors but you won't be able to air them up. They look like this and come in black or chrome.

The problem is they have a fake bead locker ring and the sensors have metal stems. The stems come out and are tucked in behind the ring leaving about 2 mm of room to apply an air hose.

Now, if you don't use the sensors the ding does not keep going and annoy you. It dings four times when you first start the Jeep and quits. After that the little indicator light stays on but that's it.

PS I run the Cragar wheels and I love them but I just have flexible stems and no TPMS.

Last edited by Black08X; 09-10-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Hey man,

Thanks for the feedback...that's what I was wanting to know. I can put up with four dings but not the entire time I drive! I will keep this in mind when i order my wheels. Looks like jeep would have made sure their sensor would be compatible with any wheel.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Hey man,

Thanks for the feedback...that's what I was wanting to know. I can put up with four dings but not the entire time I drive! I will keep this in mind when i order my wheels. Looks like jeep would have made sure their sensor would be compatible with any wheel.
No problem. I always help out my local Huntsville Jeep drivers. I think you, me, and CCDJeep are the only three from Huntsville on here.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

ha ha....much appreciated!

Actually, I've seen a few more. There may be around 7 or 8....
Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

ha ha....much appreciated!

Actually, I've seen a few more. There may be around 7 or 8....

Really, that many? Sounds to me like it's time to start a local JK club.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

I'd say you might be right...

Here are several others from Huntsville...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/south-49/huntsville-alabama-tennessee-valley-chat-46853/
Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

I'd say you might be right...

Here are several others from Huntsville...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46853
Yep, I think it's time to get this ball rolling. I looked at Rocket City Rock Crawlers and they are a great bunch but for them it's all about going out on the weekeneds with seriously modified rigs and wheeling. And that's great, I love that, but I also have to get to work in my Jeep because it's my only vehicle so I can't afford to go break it every weekend. If my Jeep was just an extra vehicle / plaything then ok. Also they are not strictly a Jeep club. I'm thinking it's time to start a club that is just for Jeep Wrangler owners. Not necessarily to just go wheeling although we would do that of course. I'm thinking once a month though we just meet up somewhere at a local restaurant and just hang out and have a good time and from there figure out where we want to go wheeling and what trails we like. It also offers an opportunity for Jeep owners to show off the mods they have added to their rigs and tell the rest of us the pros and cons.

I think I'll sit down with CCDJeep and work it out and e-mail the guys that live around here from that thread. Maybe we pick a spot somwhere along 72 to meet where we can eat and there's plenty of parking to show off the rigs. From there we can pick a club name and figure out how we want to do things or even if this is what we want to do. Personally I think a Jeep Wrangler only club would be really great. Would you be interested in something like that InSane?

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensor question...