Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Took a Pass on This One

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Took a Pass on This One

Not sure if this is the right forum but..,

I just had to take a pass on a new 08' Rescue Green Unlimited Rubicon w/ manual transmission (dual top, tow, power, side air bags, deep tint & 6 disc CD) for $31,960. Thats $500 over invoice and they may even come down further.

The Jeep is at Northwest Jeep in Portland and at the last minute we discovered that it does not have California emission's. So instead of flying up to retrieve it this weekend I had to take my second choice.

Since I had been searching and talking to dealers for a month to find this rig, I thought it just might help out a fellow shopper.

Dave
Old 02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THAT would have been one expensive mistake! So what was your second choice?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, a lot of pain narrowly avoided.

Second choice is an '08 Rescue Green Unlimited Rubicon w/ manual transmission (soft top/half doors, tow, side air bags, MyGAG) for $30,327.

The only reason it came in second was that I think I wanted a hardtop as an option. My last "real" 4X4 was a '77 FJ40 purchased in the early 80s. It had a hardtop and I loved that Landcruiser, its unfortunate that Toyota saw fit to name the FJ Cruiser as they did. Truely an insult to the real Landcruisers.

Anyway, I guess I will find out how much I like the soft top & half doors started this weekend.

Dave
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thx Toad,

Getting the hard top isn't the problem, its the 4 full sized doors that are the trouble.

Dave
Old 02-13-2008, 10:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Congrats on the new Jeep! Where did you end up getting it from? Are they starting to deal on Rubicons now.....
Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

PoorDad, Are you interested in a Unlimited Rubicon w/ manual tranny? I still have all my fresh research that I'd be happy to pass along.

To answer you question, it is radically different from dealer to dealer but they are definately starting to feel some pressure to move inventory.

Dave
Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

congrats on the Jeep, sorry you have to deal with the emissions crap -- thats very Jeeper of you to offer the research info to everyone, my wife wants one now that shes fallen for mine and you're right, the deals are VERY different from dealer to dealer --- BTW, can you use the hard top and half doors at the same time?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just looked at an Unlimited Rubi on the dealer lot. Hardtop, manual. 38k +! It was all factory standard and there was a little note : Dealer markup... $4,995. sheesh. Dealer is on crack or rather the person who buys that one is on crack (or needs to be!).
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, the markup is still out there. Unless the Toledo plant shuts down tomorrow because of the vendor disute I would expect markups to be a thing of the past within a couple of months.

What I found is that the dealers that were marking up were willing to go MSRP, the dealers that were not marking up were willing to go about $500 over invoice. I'm getting mine for $400 over invoice less the $500 military rebate (ex-USAF) for a price of $29,827 before TTL. With a little Internet and phone work anyone should be able to do the same.

Dave
Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Post Took a Pass

I am purchasing from NW this weekend. I almost bought that Rescue Green, only one I could find in the area. However I decided to go Auto and I am purchasing it for $100 over invoice. It is black. I am currently working in So. Ca. but have a home in Eugene. I really do not care about the Ca. emissions, but a question, how can you purchase in Oregon? You have to show proof of residence unless you have an Oregon license. By the way NW seemed to have the largest Rubicon inventory and the best deal. I am flying into Portland from Burbank.

Quick Reply: Took a Pass on This One