Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

towing a boat???

Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing a boat???

Dont know if this is where I need to post this but..............

Ok, I have a 09 unlimited JK. Automatic, 4wd.
I pull a 18.5 triton fiberglass boat with a 150 merc. motor. (not sure of exact weight)
Jeep pulled boat OK, but I have recently put on a 2.5 rubicon express lift and increased to 33" tires. Havent pulled boat yet with new mods on, but was wondering if its going to be able to pull the same, if it will be better or worse??????

Any ifo would be great.
Thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will pull somewhat worse.......but in my experience, not enough to matter. I have an 07 Unlimited with auto tranny, 4.10 gears, 4.5" of lift and 35s. I tow my 18' Trophy walkaround w/90hp Merc with no problems at all. Boat, motor and trailer weigh about 4K lbs. I would advise however, that you get a tranny cooler asap.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skibum
It will pull somewhat worse.......but in my experience, not enough to matter. I have an 07 Unlimited with auto tranny, 4.10 gears, 4.5" of lift and 35s. I tow my 18' Trophy walkaround w/90hp Merc with no problems at all. Boat, motor and trailer weigh about 4K lbs. I would advise however, that you get a tranny cooler asap.
Cool, thanks for the info

Quick Reply: towing a boat???