Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing my JK behind a rental moving truck

Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing my JK behind a rental moving truck

So I wasn't really all that sure where to post this...but here goes. I am moving at the beginning of next month and need some sort of answer. I have talked to the Penske and they haven't yet been able to figure out if I would be "able" to tow my JK behind their truck. I rented a 22' truck to move my things and a car carrier trailer for my rig. The weight limit of the trailer is 4100 lbs. The bigger issue is that they don't allow towing a vehicle with 315/75R16 tires or even with the 255/75R17 stock tires. Does anyone know why this would be? I know they use some tow straps that wrap around the tire, ad that's all I can think of as to why they don't like it. If I were to use my own ratchet straps and strap down the axles and the tires, wouldn't this work?

Has anyone towed their JK behind a Penske moving truck on a car carrier trailer?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

They dont know what the hell they are talking about, Just get axle straps and hook two per axle and cross them. The height of the jeep doesnt matter.

I'm using penske in a month when I move as well, I was going to tow the JK as well, but I have no room for my dogs!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

towed my 97 TJ with 32' ProComp mud terrains. Barely got the tire straps over them but made it work and towed it behind a Penske truck. No issues.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

i think they have no idea what there talking about. i know that a u haul transport uses tire straps but there was d rings also that you could strap to using your tow hooks and such.

Quick Reply: Towing my JK behind a rental moving truck