Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing uhaul trailer

Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing uhaul trailer

Making the move from VA to TX this week towing a 5' x 8' trailer behind my Sahara Unlimited. Not a big towing expert, so I'm looking for any tips you guys have to make the ride as smooth as possible. Already plan on staying under 65mph and turning off overdrive.

Anything else? Much appreciated!
Old 04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked with UHaul to see if they will let you pull t off the lot with your JK? I know it sounds stupid, but I think I've read on this forum before that someone posted a story that Uhaul wouldn't rent them a trailer to be pulled behind their JK because even with the Hard Top on, it is considered a Convertible and they won't rent trailers to be pulled behind convertibles.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
Have you checked with UHaul to see if they will let you pull t off the lot with your JK? I know it sounds stupid, but I think I've read on this forum before that someone posted a story that Uhaul wouldn't rent them a trailer to be pulled behind their JK because even with the Hard Top on, it is considered a Convertible and they won't rent trailers to be pulled behind convertibles.
I have heard the same thing. Unless you have another vechicle that you can show up with to pick up the trailor they won't rent it to be pulled behind a jeep 4 door or not. They say that its a rollover hazard. I would make a phone call with no names at another location from where ur gonna rent just to confirm. Hate to bust ur bubble but just a heads up
Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have rented from u-haul before and they have never said anything about the fact that I have a Wrangler. They hook it up, and I am good to go.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

a roll over hazard....sigh. lawyers must have missed the roll cage.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I just called for good measure and they said I'm good to go. Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rbrutzman
a roll over hazard....sigh. lawyers must have missed the roll cage.
I believe it's only a sport cage, got to pay extra for a real roll cage.

Glad everything worked out mbulman.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

We moved from AZ to MA they wouldn't let us rent a trailer because we didn't have a hard top. We rented the trailer with a different vehicle and dropped it off with the jeep.

As you can see there wasn't an inch to spare in the trailer or the jeep.

I can't tell you how it rode because I didn't do the drive but according to the wife and her dad it pulled fine with 5-spd shifting the 3.73 gears.

The fuel cost was close to $1,000 for 3,600 miles from what I believe.

Just remember to put the weight over the axles in the trailer and in the jeep if you have room, check your fluids. Get an oil change before and after. Drive slow and steady and you should be fine.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default towing

I pull a 6x10 enclosed trailer with my motorcycle, tools and other stuff in it. Crosswinds get your attention but headwinds can really slow you down as will hills. Mileage is pathetic, usually less than 10 mpg. Good luck and leave extra braking distance............

2008 Rubicon 2 door 6 speed
Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! Drive starts tomorrow morning. Hopefully I won't have to visit this thread anymore with horror stories or anything, haha

Quick Reply: Towing uhaul trailer