Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Train Horn

Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Train Horn

For those of you like me who think the stock Jk horn is a bit on the weak side, here's a little goody that might interest you (and the price is decent too):

h t t p://www.lornemartinuik.com/

So I don't violate Forum rules, you'll have to cut and paste the link and eliminate the spaces between each letter in the "http". However, I also think that WOL should add this guy as a Forum sponsor "gratis" as a public service. You have no idea how useful this thing would be on those pesky Boston drivers and pedestrians (especially the latter).

If anyone gets this, let me know what you think. I might consider one if it checks out.

This is the one I like, otherwise known as the Stage Three:

FYI. There's an interesting thread in fatwallet.com in "hot deals" on this product.

Last edited by kafka1983; 07-05-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

I was standing near an intersection one day. Traffic was stopped at a light (high traffic "T" intersection). When the light changed, I heard a train horn very shortly afterward. There were passenger vehicles, pick-ups, and a couple 18 wheelers waiting for an oblivious driver to proceed. I looked toward the tracks, about 300 feet on the other side of the intersection from me. No train anywhere to be seen. I noticed other pedestrians, and some drivers looking toward the tracks, too. The horn didn't seem to prod the driver along.
Bottom line is, people recognize a train horn when they hear one, and don't look for it to be coming from a relatively small vehicle. I never did find out if it was a car or one of the 18 wheelers. People heard a train, looked around, didn't see one, and reacted in a "ho-hum" sort of way.
I agree about the JK horn. The one on my VW Golf is a lot louder. To add insult to injury, not everywhere on the JK center pad will activate the horn.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 24in Grover fire engine horn. Grover means move over!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The horn didn't seem to prod the driver along.
Bottom line is, people recognize a train horn when they hear one, and don't look for it to be coming from a relatively small vehicle.
Worse is that the train horn and fire engine for that matter, actually makes people who are stooped stay stooped. Beep Beep says wake the f up.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
Worse is that the train horn and fire engine for that matter, actually makes people who are stooped stay stooped. Beep Beep says wake the f up.
At the very least a fire engine horn makes them drop their cell phone and do a Linda Blair with their head.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just added a pic

Just added a pic

Last edited by kafka1983; 07-05-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Junkie

It's a pretty cool idea until you hear some a-hole blasting one in your neighborhood around the time your trying to sleep.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bOLsAK=3
It's a pretty cool idea until you hear some a-hole blasting one in your neighborhood around the time your trying to sleep.
It may even be illegal for on-road use in some states.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bOLsAK=3
That would be me. Gotta pay back those bass thumpers somehow.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It may even be illegal for on-road use in some states.
They're not illegal here yet but because they're being abused lately there has been a big uproar in regard to making them illegal.
Originally Posted by mkjeep
That would be me. Gotta pay back those bass thumpers somehow.
So you're the a-hole?!

At least you can hear the thumpers coming, that train horn will scare the piss out of you if you're not expecting it!

Come to think of it, maybe a train horn is necessary to get the attention of those women on cell phones.

Quick Reply: Train Horn