Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

transfer case- Pilgrimage to the Promised Land

Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default transfer case- Pilgrimage to the Promised Land

Anyone know what's causing the broken transfercases as discribed by the new video "Pilgrimage to the Promised Land"? I'm assuming it's due to modified front drive shaft angles causing stress to the case. Am I wrong? Is this common for our transfercases? I haden't heard of this until now.
Nathan
Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may be right, the guy's that broke last year appeared heavily modded as well.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
Anyone know what's causing the broken transfercases as discribed by the new video "Pilgrimage to the Promised Land"? I'm assuming it's due to modified front drive shaft angles causing stress to the case. Am I wrong? Is this common for our transfercases? I haden't heard of this until now.
Nathan
regarding the transfer case breaks, so far, we have only been seeing breaks happen on the front half of rubicon t-cases. x, sport and saharas have a front half that is made differently and so far, none have broken or, that i know of. likewise, most of the breaks have just been cracks and, they were caused by front driveline vibrations that went unchecked for too long. a damaged unbalanced driveshaft will cause this as will an aftermarket u-joint style shaft on a front axle that has too much positive caster and running 5.13's or higher. catestrophic breaks like the kind that trail bud had occur due to the centering ball in the double cardan seizing up and that can happen from lack of maintenance and on any t-case. trust me, not only have i personally seen multiple t-case crack or explode, it has even happend to me.

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-07-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There could be many possibilities that can cause a failure like that, but if you want to know the specifics, shoot WOL a pm or trail bud and ask! I'm sure they would be more than happy to provide an explanation for the carnage
Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
regarding the transfer case breaks, so far, we have only been seeing breaks happen on the front half of rubicon t-cases. x, sport and saharas have a front half that is made differently and so far, none have broken or, that i know of. likewise, most of the breaks have just been cracks and, they were caused by front driveline vibrations that went unchecked for too long. a damaged unbalanced driveshaft will cause this as will an aftermarket u-joint style shaft on a front axle that has too much positive caster and running 5.13's or higher. catestrophic breaks like the kind that trail bud had occur due to the centering ball in the double cardan seizing up and that can happen from lack of maintenance and on any t-case. trust me, not only have i personally seen multiple t-case crack or explode, it has even happend to me.

Let's see:
Rubicon-------------------------check
Front driveline vibration-------kinda
Aftermarket u-joint style------check
Too much positive caster------I'm going to check
5.13's---------------------------soon

I had to replace the centering ball in the rear once. I think the front is going out now. That, or, there a nest of baby birds under the Jeep.
Guess I should pickup some of that RTV.

Quick Reply: transfer case- Pilgrimage to the Promised Land