Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Transmission Question

Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Question

I have searched the threads, but was unable to find the answer I was looking for. I have a 2007 JKU (Auto) and am assuming I have the 42RLE Transmission. I was wondering if anyone knew how much power the transmission is safely capable of holding up to. I am looking to do an engine swap, but want to try and keep as much of the stock stuff as possible. I am not looking to throw 400hp at the trans or anything. I was thinking right around 295-300hp. I believe it will hold up fine to that kind of hp. The Prodigy Jeep is putting out right around the same hp and Im pretty sure they only added the turbo without any other major modifications. Any info from you guys would be great. Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is a medium duty trans that Chrysler put into vehicles that stock put out around 250 HP or less. Alot of people are supercharging or turbocharging the 3.8L and getting around 280 HP or so. You will get buy with that kind of power but the life of the tranny will suffer. I would for sure add a trans cooler because the 42RLE has always been a hot running trans.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Thank you very much Hooper. Thats kind of what I was hoping not to hear, but figured it was coming anyway. Thanks for the help the Hooper

Quick Reply: Transmission Question