Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Transmission Seepage

Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Bub
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Seepage

Like many others I took this JK in to fix the wet transmission pan condition and the the dealer had the pan gasket replaced with silicone sealer. Naturally that didn't work as the problem became obvious to all the the casing was porous and that was something I may have to live with. Or they might (if I protest too much) replace just the casing and move the guts of the tranny to a new one which could also seep. I found the nook the fluid came from and stuffed a paper shop towel in and in a few weeks it turned red and so on. I stuffed another towel in and the other day replaced it but before I did that I used carb cleaner to purge the nook of atf and sprayed it with heat paint. Will that work? Probably, but I'll report back after the trip to Moab Friday.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have the lifetime powertrain warranty? The transmission case should be covered if you do. The second thing is you're NEVER supposed to use silicone sealer on a transmission pan. There is a special compound sealer to use because transmission fluid prohibits the curing of silicone sealer and it can actually squeeze out into the transmission and reak all kinda havok. I would not trust sealing the area from the outside permanently either, because you don't know where else the transmission might be porous. It may be porous on the inside somewhere and not directing all the fluid flow properly. I would try to get that replaced.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Bub
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Do you have the lifetime powertrain warranty? The transmission case should be covered if you do. The second thing is you're NEVER supposed to use silicone sealer on a transmission pan. There is a special compound sealer to use because transmission fluid prohibits the curing of silicone sealer and it can actually squeeze out into the transmission and reak all kinda havok. I would not trust sealing the area from the outside permanently either, because you don't know where else the transmission might be porous. It may be porous on the inside somewhere and not directing all the fluid flow properly. I would try to get that replaced.
Nope and the warranty is over in January and I don't want them to touch it anyway. When I took it in for the seepage in the first place and they resealed the pan they also flashed the ecu because when I got it back it had the TC shudder which it did NOT have theretofore. Creeps. I took it back again and and asked "what did you do to cause the shudder which wasn't there before?" He said I'll take care of it. So, no I don't want them to molest it again. I can do that all by myself and may this next month from here to Moab and back.

Quick Reply: Transmission Seepage