Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is this true about Jeeps?

Old 09-03-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this true about Jeeps?

So, Ive been a huge jeep fan forever, never really gave any other off roader a thought and since Im going to be buying one sometime early next year while overseas, I have looked at the Xterra Pro 4's and FJ's.... I'd say if jeep didnt exist, Id go with a X.. even though I dont like how Dana axles dont come in the Automatic.... but Ive been researching A LOT about wranglers, even have a wishlist made up of all the stuff I want for the jeep (over $4,000)'

As I was searching, I found this forum, with someone who was wanting a jeep... I didnt read much more than the first page, had a lot of Jeep fans and a lot of people talking down on Jeeps.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/6...it.html&page=1

Ive read a lot on here and it seems almost 50/50 with the jeeps now a days.. some seem to get them, lift em, bigger rubber and be fine.. some seem to be replacing parts 10-20,000 miles after getting the jeep with only moderate trail use. I've road in jeeps before, plenty of times and LOVE them. but I dont want to get a $32,000 rubicon, drop a few grand in parts and then start replacing stuff after some light trail riding.

So, in your honest, NON BIASED opinions, is the Jeep the best off road SUV on the market for the money?

Also, would I be better off buying a 2012 rubicon or a Sport model and building it for some light off road? My goal besides bumpers..etc was a 3.5" lift, 35" tires. but the new rubi's have D44, 4.10 gears... so sounds like I might be cheaper just getting the Rubi.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

like many things, I read all that stuff with caution. I've had jeeps for a long time and have never had any real issues with them other than normal wear or the occasional bad build but taken care of under warranty.

My current 2010 JK has 34000+ miles and still good.

I guess it's also subjective as to what broke, the driving habits, has maintenance been performed or has the jeep been neglected, new or used etc....

I've seen fools take them out and think because it's a Jeep it should be able to roll like a tank and then complain when they break something or cause other damage and blame the Jeep. I've seen a few that did have warranty issues but were taken care of.

I know since I've lifted my Jeep if I have a warranty claim the dealership will try to weasel their way out of it but that's the risk I chose.

Also being in the tech industry, it's not uncommon for the competition to encourage their employees to post negative comments and encourage others to buy their brand....

in answer to your question, I'm biased toward Jeep. i like the ease in which you can modify it. And so many options. if you know what you want and in gears etc,.... get the Rubi if you don't plan on building beyond what you indicated. I did the math when I bought mine and it was cheaper in the long run when you consider axles, lockers, gears etc... even if you regear, still better in the D44's

2012's have limp mode that re-gearing is not an option yet - I think AEV is close in getting past it but the new technology in the 2012 does not make it easy to modify. Check for 3rd party programmer issues etc.. so you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by jeeeep; 09-03-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeeeep
like many things, I read all that stuff with caution. I've had jeeps for a long time and have never had any real issues with them other than normal wear or the occasional bad build but taken care of under warranty.

My current 2010 JK has 34000+ miles and still good.

I guess it's also subjective as to what broke, the driving habits, has maintenance been performed or has the jeep been neglected, new or used etc....

I've seen fools take them out and think because it's a Jeep it should be able to roll like a tank and then complain when they break something or cause other damage and blame the Jeep. I've seen a few that did have warranty issues but were taken care of.

I know since I've lifted my Jeep if I have a warranty claim the dealership will try to weasel their way out of it but that's the risk I chose.

Also being in the tech industry, it's not uncommon for the competition to encourage their employees to post negative comments and encourage others to buy their brand....

in answer to your question, I'm biased toward Jeep. i like the ease in which you can modify it. And so many options. if you know what you want and in gears etc,.... get the Rubi if you don't plan on building beyond what you indicated. I did the math when I bought mine and it was cheaper in the long run when you consider axles, lockers, gears etc... even if you regear, still better in the D44's

2012's have limp mode that re-gearing is not an option yet - I think AEV is close in getting past it but the new technology in the 2012 does not make it easy to modify. Check for 3rd party programmer issues etc.. so you won't be disappointed.
It will be early/mid 2012 when I order.. I would like to save money but from what I read, as far as specs go, the 2012 seems a lot better than the previous years....
But that's coming from me and I do not know everything or read it correctly all the time. Are the 2012 Rubicon's worth having over a 2010? Is the extra power and whatever else it comes with worth it?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will a Rubi be as reliable as a Toyota or Nissan? Maybe not.

Can you take the roof and doors off an X? Maybe not.

Can you replace almost every part but the sun visors (and maybe them too) with aftermarket on a Jeep? Yes. An X, maybe not?

I think the 2012 would be worth the money difference from an 10, for the 5 speed auto and new motor.

My 07 Rubi has been virtually problem free. While it is only mildly wheeled, life on the street can be hell for it, on occasion. So far it has been a real trooper. Anything that breaks now is my own fault.

But because I cannot be 100% sure you would get a problem free Wrangler, I cannot reccommend what you should do. I would feel guilty if you bought a Jeep, and then was disappointed.

Good luck.

Last edited by Yankee; 09-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

2012's from engine power and new 5 speed auto transmission I think are better - Fiat is moving in the right direction.

I'm holding off to see how the all aluminum block performs in the long run in the Jeep. It's done very well in their other vehicles, but the Jeep tends to get pushed harder so I'm on hold.

I'm also leaning towards a Hemi or diesel transplant. I figure the cost of new Jeep then adding all the mods again, engine swap would be cheaper for me in the long run.

Hoping next year the cost of engine swaps also drops some with the introduction of the 2012 power plant.

Jeep Jk body style I think is classic since they returned to round headlights, grille and classic Jeep look - sorry YJ owners.

I test drove a 2012 auto liked the power and transmission, but I've just invested in the mods and do miss the power of the Hemi (2005 GC 5.7 Hemi)
Old 09-03-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArmyEng875
Ive read a lot on here and it seems almost 50/50 with the jeeps now a days.. some seem to get them, lift em, bigger rubber and be fine.. some seem to be replacing parts 10-20,000 miles after getting the jeep with only moderate trail use. I've road in jeeps before, plenty of times and LOVE them. but I dont want to get a $32,000 rubicon, drop a few grand in parts and then start replacing stuff after some light trail riding.

So, in your honest, NON BIASED opinions, is the Jeep the best off road SUV on the market for the money?

Also, would I be better off buying a 2012 rubicon or a Sport model and building it for some light off road? My goal besides bumpers..etc was a 3.5" lift, 35" tires. but the new rubi's have D44, 4.10 gears... so sounds like I might be cheaper just getting the Rubi.
In the spring of 2005 I bought a fully loaded 2003 TJ (sticker was $27K) with 15,000 miles on it for $16k. I drove it for 5 years and put another 85k miles on it - and never did it ever go to the Jeep dealer for any work. Sold it in 2010 and bought a 2011 Rubicon, drove it for 9 months and it never saw a dealers shop, traded it in and got a 2012 Rubicon and plan on having it for about 15 or 20 years.

So, yeah they hold up pretty good I feel like.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I spent about 4K on my mods... and I feel it's going to be very reliable off road... not really hard core but I have been doing some aggressive stuff.

if your going to put a 3.5" lift and 35's you will have to do addition mods or you will have problems... so I have read. Read up on the mods you want to do and see if that's where you want to head..
I didn't want to do some of the mods that would be needed with a lift >2.5" and big tires so I'm keeping it at 2.5" lift and will get 33's

any how... the Jeep is one of a kind and it's really the only way to go...

Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
I spent about 4K on my mods... and I feel it's going to be very reliable off road... not really hard core but I have been doing some aggressive stuff.

if your going to put a 3.5" lift and 35's you will have to do addition mods or you will have problems... so I have read. Read up on the mods you want to do and see if that's where you want to head..
I didn't want to do some of the mods that would be needed with a lift >2.5" and big tires so I'm keeping it at 2.5" lift and will get 33's

any how... the Jeep is one of a kind and it's really the only way to go...

With 4.10 gears, a 3.5" lift and 35's... what other mods would have to be done to prevent problems?

I would think doing a 2.5" lift with 35's would make them rub once I added front and rear steel bumpers, rockerrails... but if I go with smittybilt XRC steel fenders, maybe not since they are cut so short.

Last edited by ArmyEng875; 09-03-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ArmyEng875
With 4.10 gears, a 3.5" lift and 35's... what other mods would have to be done to prevent problems?

I would think doing a 2.5" lift with 35's would make them rub once I added front and rear steel bumpers, rockerrails... but if I go with smittybilt XRC steel fenders, maybe not since they are cut so short.

you'll want to regear to get back in the powerband and get mileage back. lot's of recommedations for 5:13's with an auto but do your research for your type of driving and what's acceptable.

I have 3.5" lift, 35's and stock 4:10's for now, it goes but OD is almost useless. I do a lot of freeway driving, occasional towing and make several trips from Texas to Utah, I like to be able to run 75mph and leave room for 80-85mph. Most current trip to Utah with current setup was not as good as with stock setup. Have to run the SuperChips 91 tune to keep some power but OD is still pretty useless except around town and flat roads.

I'm getting 4:88's because I want to use OD and be able to lock it out when needed without hitting too high RPM. if I were to match stock I'd go with 4:56 but the extra will allow me to move to 37's when I swap to a Hemi.

5:13's IMO are too tall and run too high RPM's, a lot of people run 5:13's to counter the additional power loss due to weight of bumpers etc...
Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeeeep
you'll want to regear to get back in the powerband and get mileage back. lot's of recommedations for 5:13's with an auto but do your research for your type of driving and what's acceptable.

I have 3.5" lift, 35's and stock 4:10's for now, it goes but OD is almost useless. I do a lot of freeway driving, occasional towing and make several trips from Texas to Utah, I like to be able to run 75mph and leave room for 80-85mph. Most current trip to Utah with current setup was not as good as with stock setup. Have to run the SuperChips 91 tune to keep some power but OD is still pretty useless except around town and flat roads.

I'm getting 4:88's because I want to use OD and be able to lock it out when needed without hitting too high RPM. if I were to match stock I'd go with 4:56 but the extra will allow me to move to 37's when I swap to a Hemi.

5:13's IMO are too tall and run too high RPM's, a lot of people run 5:13's to counter the additional power loss due to weight of bumpers etc...
WOuld 4.88's run find with a 3.5" lift and 35's... I have a feeling I'd want 37's after a while too, they look really good!

The only downside to getting a 2012 next year, will be waiting for some mod parts.

Quick Reply: Is this true about Jeeps?