Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

ugh... bestop

Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been saying it for YEARS.

Bestop customer service is one of the worst places I have dealt with and I have dealt with some really bad places ( Nextel is another one but that is another story ).

I wonder if it's because alot of products are sold thru them but not made by them. In any case I hate that Bestop sells so many great products because if you have a problem you really are as they say "up the creek without a paddle".
Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
I think the problem here is that everyone wants OEM fitting components with everything they buy. Everyone knows Bestop doesn't make that great of a product, but they pretty much are the company you go to for soft top alternatives. I have their 2 piece soft doors and Safari top. I know going into it I would have to manipulate them to work. The soft doors I had to treat them like the bitches they are and bend them to fit "decently". The safari top fit MINT. No issues with it.

When it comes down to it, you need to know what you're getting yourself into. If not, you're going to be very disappointed with everything you buy, especially on the cheaper side.

Don't let my newbie status on this forum fool you. I know what i'm getting into most of the time, but having to cut the end off a door surround so it will fit is kinda ridiculous. Yeah, I'm capable of repairing most things that break, but what's the average Joe gonna do when this stuff happens? I've got friends that can barely turn a screwdriver and it's usually in the wrong direction

What got me in an uproar was the fact that the threaded insert was missing. it's a silver insert attached to a small black part. should be clearly visible that it's missing by any QA inspector (if they have them).

A few years back, I bought a Supertop and 2-piece soft doors from Bestop for my CJ-7 and didn't have any problems with it. And the instructions clearly stated that you have to give the doors a slight bend so they fit and seal properly. I don't consider that a big deal.

And, I don't know what you do for a living, but $600 for some canvas, plastic, and cheap steel made in Mexico is NOT what I consider cheap.

I do not, however, understand why there's not more competition in the soft-top market. Considering how many JK's are being sold, and Bestop's reputation for poor quality and customer care, why doesn't someone else step up and steal some business?

Mark
Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

mexico! MEXICO!! if i knew this before i would have never bought anything made by best top! ill take my business else where!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

is there any other softtops out there that are easy to deal with hardware wise and aren't crazy expensive? I just want something to keep the rain out and I was thinking about getting the trektop and giving that a shot..but I'm not 100% sure it's a good idea
Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ineptknight
mexico! MEXICO!! if i knew this before i would have never bought anything made by best top! ill take my business else where!
Yep I used to think they were the Premier Top maker....I will NEVER buy a item fom them again.

Now I know why my mesh top is so incredably hard to install.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ineptknight
Well...I guess it's kinda fitting that they make their tops in Mexico...have you ever looked at any of the "Made in Mexico" on your stock Jeep parts? I pulled off one of the AC vent covers and saw it and almost fell over. You can't even buy American Made without it being made in a foreign country.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

hecho en mexico, amigos!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

I've had my TREKTOP for two years. I hate the saggy top, the velcro closure, and the sloppy fit. I do like the style. I think it's great. I wish I could afford the WILDBOAR hardtop. There are some other manufacturers that have better quality and much better customer service. I was very unimpressed with their customer service when I called to complain and ask for assistance...

I ordered the Element doors for the 4-door. They took 5 months to deliver. They rattle non-stop. The bags are just as saggy as the TREKTOP. Thinking the enclosure would be nice, I ordered them and I've been waiting on them for 4 months... I have cancelled that order and will NEVER AGAIN buy a bestop product.

Especially after finding out bestop fired AMERICAN workers in favor of mexicans.

Quick Reply: ugh... bestop