Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Very important finance question

Old 10-15-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very important finance question

I'm embarrassed to ask this question being that I sold cars for 3 years and pretty much forget much of the rules about taxation. I put an order in for a 2012 JKU Rubi today and received 2 different quotes from 2 dealerships. the first one i walked away from because i got fed up with them for saying they had a rubi and when i got there after a 30 min drive, i found out it was an order for another customer. but my question is: i am trading in a lease that they are buying from the bank and rolling in neg equity. My trade is worth more than the taxable amount of the rubi. the first dealer quoted me $502 tax because thats the difference, and the dealer i ordered from quoted me $2359 tax saying that that was the right tax and the other dealer was scamming me. but now that i look back at the buyers order i noticed they put the negative equity in the "total taxable amount" and the for tax put 2350 which is wrong then. from what i remember when selling cars, we tax on the difference of the trade and the new car even when it is being bought from a bank. please respond with knowledge asap so i can cancel the order before they cash my check deposit and i have to fight them. i called the first dealer and the told me it was a trick because when they send the tax to the state they will fix the numbers back and put the extra money back into the front end of the deal.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

i dont know how a lease differs from owning. but in louisiana you are taxed on the difference between vehicle prices. probably dont help you, but i tried.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cancel the order. Your right and about to get ripped off.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks for your help anyway whether youre right or wrong. some may argue that i dont own the car, the bank does therefore i dont get any tax transfer but i did pay a percentage of tax when leasing the car so i have to get at least something and when the dealership buys out a lease, they do not pay tax on it.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 81ster
Cancel the order. Your right and about to get ripped off.
i thought so.. i am pissed! im canceling the check right now.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You only pay sales tax on the difference of the purchase price minus the trade in value. The payoff has no part of tax calculations unless they roll the negative equity into the purchase price.

Last edited by armycop; 10-15-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

I am rolling neg equity. So it's sale price + neg eq - trade = taxable amount?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by notsoricer
I am rolling neg equity. So it's sale price + neg eq - trade = taxable amount?
Yes, the dealer can't technically finance negative equity so they build (hide it) it into the purchase price. That is the amount minus trade equals taxable portion.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Because you are turning in a lease, you only get tax credit for your positive equity. Negative equity would indeed hurt your tax because your sale price would go up.

The positive equity from a lease trade in is the same as a cash down payment.

At least, in MA that's how it works - since you don't -own- the previously leased vehicle you can't get tax credit for it's entire value - only the positive equity that you receive.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by uselessllama
Because you are turning in a lease, you only get tax credit for your positive equity. Negative equity would indeed hurt your tax because your sale price would go up.

The positive equity from a lease trade in is the same as a cash down payment.

At least, in MA that's how it works - since you don't -own- the previously leased vehicle you can't get tax credit for it's entire value - only the positive equity that you receive.
Hey, thanks for your info but you kinda lost me lol. so are you agreeing with the fact that i only pay tax on the difference of the trade and new vehicle or that i pay tax of the new vehicle PLUS tax on the difference? obviously i am in a neg eq situation.. the one dealership that said i owe 2359 switched the tax 3 times and said the computer was confused. even the buyers order is crap because things are in the wrong lines. i may just take a pic and post them for people to see.

Quick Reply: Very important finance question