Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Very important warranty issue

Old 09-12-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I wouldn't have signed it either, but just declining to have the dealership do the required maintenance doesn't mean it wasn't done.
They should know that.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I wouldn't have signed it either, but just declining to have the dealership do the required maintenance doesn't mean it wasn't done.
They should know that.
I totally agree. But, when you walk in to discuss your case with an arbitrator (because I'm sure they would fight you to the top on a warranty case) it's not going to look good when you signed a binding contract stating you "refused to have required maintenance done". Then, it's your word against their's on whether it's been done. Which essentially puts the burden of proof on the owner's head. I'm sure their stance would be that I totally fabricated my maintenance records and I can't prove otherwise.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 jku how do I figure out what needs to be done to mine to make sure I keep my life time powertrain warranty?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owtcast

I totally agree. But, when you walk in to discuss your case with an arbitrator (because I'm sure they would fight you to the top on a warranty case) it's not going to look good when you signed a binding contract stating you "refused to have required maintenance done". Then, it's your word against their's on whether it's been done. Which essentially puts the burden of proof on the owner's head. I'm sure their stance would be that I totally fabricated my maintenance records and I can't prove otherwise.
A manufacturer, at least in TX, cannot require that they perform preventative maintenance. If you can document that is was done, and a store receipt is sufficient, you should be okay. It's also required by law that a shop that changes oil also accept used oil from consumers (TCEQ).

You could take your own oil to the dealership for recycling and legally they have to accept it without a fee.

If it were me, I would write on the w/o what work your approving, oil change, and simply drawing a line through their paragraph.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

I didn't know they still did lifetime warranties. However, I don't think they can require that you se them for the lifetime warranty. You should however, keep receipts and other proof that you did things like oil and what not...just to prove you maintained the vehicle. That's my .02
Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

1st thing that jumped out at me after the poor penmanship was our warranties don't remain in "affect"
they remain in "effect" and if i remember correctly (college bus law was a long time ago) the magnumsom act
remedies that kind of mumbo jumbo
brianj
Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tncruiser
1st thing that jumped out at me after the poor penmanship was our warranties don't remain in "affect"
they remain in "effect" and if i remember correctly (college bus law was a long time ago) the magnumsom act
remedies that kind of mumbo jumbo
brianj
Yeah, I doubt that when push came to shove, they'd have a leg to stand on in a court. This is what it is.... A VERY deceptive and aggressive form of high pressure sales with a nasty spin of a side effect.
I'm very fortunate that the wife is an attorney. It wouldn't cost me much if anything to fight this out with them. Court filing fees most likely. But for the majority of owners, it could bankrupt them before they actually reached some sort of favorable resolution. Which, the corporation knows all too well, would just discourage most from even challenging it.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Allen Samuels sucks. At least what I know of them and dealing with them when I was looking at JK's. I've heard a lot of stories about them. I'd find another dealer to take your Jeep to. There a little far away but Moritz in Ft. Worth I've heard good things about.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tncruiser
they remain in "effect". . .
My thought exactly. If this were a corporate thing, it would be a printed sticker written by a pro who wouldn't make that mistake.

The factory is probably balking at reimbursing the dealer, so the dealer passes it on.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I buy my mobil one oil at walmart....... Get my mech to change it for me.... If I have any kinda lights on my dash my mech reads it for free or I give him a 20$ for his generosity..... I try to hit the dealer as least as possible.... I feel they are always trying to talk there way out of any free service ( warranty)....

Quick Reply: Very important warranty issue