Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Vibrations/wobble at 55 MPH???

Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibrations/wobble at 55 MPH???

So I have a brand new 2012 JKU Sport. 2.5" coil RC Lift. And Dual Steering Stabilizers. 2000k miles. I noticed at 55MPH Im getting vibrations to the point the whole jeep wobbles. Not like death wobble where its almost uncontrollable, but enough to where my whole body and steering wheel is shaking pretty bad. As soon as I break or speed up it stops. It feels like someone is pushing on the jeep from the side back and forth.

My lift came with coils and shocks only. So no end links and adj track bar and what not. I do have some used tires that are uneven. one is wore more than the others.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

I would say on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being death wobble. Its at a 6.

Any info helps.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you need links when lifting 2.5"?? My TF 2.5 lift came with them. Just a thought.

On my old car my tires were cupped bc I didn't rotate them enough, wear was good but cupped and it had a vibration. So it could be those two things.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by matprovo
I thought you need links when lifting 2.5"?? My TF 2.5 lift came with them. Just a thought.

On my old car my tires were cupped bc I didn't rotate them enough, wear was good but cupped and it had a vibration. So it could be those two things.
Ya Im starting to think its the tires. At slow speeds 10-20 mph i can feel and hear the tire uneven. Im gonna go through and make sure my track bar and everything is tight. Im getting new tires in a few months so Ill have to wait till then
Old 05-19-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was experiencing a similar problem around 45-50....was caused by one of my tires being out of balance cause I knocked a weight off when I was out wheelin...I talked to my fleet mechanic at work and he thought it was a balance issue, talked to the guys at the tire shop and they thought it was a balance issue, they were right...can also be a bent wheel as I have experienced wobbles another time and the bent wheel was the cause.

If it is only happening at a specific speed, it is highly likely you have a bent wheel...once the tire hits a certain speed the wheel causes the tire to sway back and forth but then once you go fast enough the tire has time to recover...at least that is kinda how the guy at America Tire Co explained it to me.

Last edited by FlameRedJK; 05-19-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
I was experiencing a similar problem around 45-50....was caused by one of my tires being out of balance cause I knocked a weight off when I was out wheelin...I talked to my fleet mechanic at work and he thought it was a balance issue, talked to the guys at the tire shop and they thought it was a balance issue, they were right...can also be a bent wheel as I have experienced wobbles another time and the bent wheel was the cause.

If it is only happening at a specific speed, it is highly likely you have a bent wheel...once the tire hits a certain speed the wheel causes the tire to sway back and forth but then once you go fast enough the tire has time to recover...at least that is kinda how the guy at America Tire Co explained it to me.

This helps alot! Im going to take it in this week to check balance. I dont think a wheel is bent. Everytime I wheel I take it slow and haven't experianced a major hit to the wheel. But you never know. Im pretty sure its the one tire thats worn more and weird compared to the others. I did get the tires used
Old 05-19-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

X3 on the tire rotation and balance. I had a nasty wobble/shimmy @ 45 mph. I had the tires balanced and rotated and it hasn't been back since.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah happen to me too before on my last jeep.. just balance it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justbandit55
This helps alot! Im going to take it in this week to check balance. I dont think a wheel is bent. Everytime I wheel I take it slow and haven't experianced a major hit to the wheel. But you never know. Im pretty sure its the one tire thats worn more and weird compared to the others. I did get the tires used
I take it slow and easy too...sometimes, sh*t just happens
Most likely your tires being unbalanced though.
I have life time balancing from Americas Tire Co. I now go in every few weeks just to wake sure. I think the guys are getting tired of seeing me

Some people will say its just because you're running MTRs...Personally, I don't buy it.

Good luck and let us know what happens
Old 05-20-2012, 01:23 AM
JK Newbie

I run 35s and had this, had wheels checked, I always get them to spin up wheels as they came off jeep, to see if any are out, but this time only one rear a little out.
So under the front I go, and the only play I could see was a small amount on the steering sector shaft, so I thought that's only going to get worse, and looked at kits available, but nothing for a right hand drive, except perhaps the EVO one.
Decided to make my own connected to the same side as the steering box, a pit like the JKS one.
Fitted it Friday, out testing yesterday watching a winch challenge,. Two hour drive and the steering was sweet, the little wobble/ shimmery was gone, and the little wondering vague ness.
Check your sector shaft, the cost of a brace must be less than a steering box.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by longshank
I run 35s and had this, had wheels checked, I always get them to spin up wheels as they came off jeep, to see if any are out, but this time only one rear a little out.
So under the front I go, and the only play I could see was a small amount on the steering sector shaft, so I thought that's only going to get worse, and looked at kits available, but nothing for a right hand drive, except perhaps the EVO one.
Decided to make my own connected to the same side as the steering box, a pit like the JKS one.
Fitted it Friday, out testing yesterday watching a winch challenge,. Two hour drive and the steering was sweet, the little wobble/ shimmery was gone, and the little wondering vague ness.
Check your sector shaft, the cost of a brace must be less than a steering box.
Whats a sector shaft?

Quick Reply: Vibrations/wobble at 55 MPH???