Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

VIN Number Mod

Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
even if they get a key, it still wont start
I don't get it. Mine starts with a key.

If the dealer cuts and programs a key based on my VIN number, why wouldn't it start the car?

I actually need a spare key and was putting off getting one. Now I'm curious if they'll ask for ID or anything. I will be pissed if I pay for a key and it won't start the car.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by starfire65
I wonder if that's where the bad guys got the idea.
Sounds more like that is where your buddy got the idea.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer asks for proof of ownership. And they cannot make a key without either the original present or the Jeep present. Due to having to copy the program into the chip.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by starfire65
I don't get it. Mine starts with a key.

If the dealer cuts and programs a key based on my VIN number, why wouldn't it start the car?

I actually need a spare key and was putting off getting one. Now I'm curious if they'll ask for ID or anything. I will be pissed if I pay for a key and it won't start the car.
I'm pretty sure the Jeep and key need to both be at the dealer for them to program them to work in sync
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
The dealer asks for proof of ownership. And they cannot make a key without either the original present or the Jeep present. Due to having to copy the program into the chip.
Well, that's good news.

Do all the Chrysler keys work like that? Because the article made them look pretty bad.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

First the VIN on the dash is called a "public" VIN. At least in Texas, if not nation wide, if the public VIN is covered, blocked, or obscured law enforcement may enter the vehicle with out a warrant to view the public VIN.
I would hope that a dealership would not make and program a key without establishing proof of ownership, but I could see it happening.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
First the VIN on the dash is called a "public" VIN. At least in Texas, if not nation wide, if the public VIN is covered, blocked, or obscured law enforcement may enter the vehicle with out a warrant to view the public VIN.
I would hope that a dealership would not make and program a key without establishing proof of ownership, but I could see it happening.

It's ok, i just set my stash on mine, then everyone is happy.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

snopes has some interesting info on this

h t t p:/ /www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp
Old 01-27-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

We are lucky with the chip in our keys, but not all vehicles are like that.

I have had a Dodge dealer cut me a key based only off VIN because I lost the key to my '99 dakota. They did ask for proof of ownership/registration etc, but it was all locked in the dakota and my one and only key was somewhere down a storm drain in a parking lot.

Took a bit, but the guy cut me a key without any info.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why would anyone go through the trouble of paying for a new key if they are going to steal a car? Especially Jeeps, I could only imagine how much that key costs with the transmitter built in. It's not like they are going to be able to drive it around, it will either end up in a chop shop or on a boat within a matter of hours (or minutes). Plus, if they get a key cut, wouldn't that be on record in at least one dealership most likely close by to where the Jeep was stolen? It would be too easy to catch the would be thief. I could see that one on Worlds Dumbest Criminals - "this guy walked into a dealership with camera's all around, got a key cut, stole the Jeep and brought it in for an oil change" - lol. Honestly, if someone wants my Jeep, let them steal it, it's what I pay insurance for. I'm not taping up my VIN number, thats just ridiculous. If they want it bad enough that they would go get a key cut, when they see it taped up they would just break the window anyway. Come on, this makes no sense.

Quick Reply: VIN Number Mod