Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

WARNING! Before you buy your new Jeep from an out-of-state dealer, read this.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vette67
There ought to be a BBB for Government! The Better Government Bureau! BGB!
there is, the voting booth.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by finnd1
there is, the voting booth.
Not good enough!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:06 AM
JK Junkie

wow that sucks. i live in montana. i bought my jk used from salt lake city. they told me on the phone that they wouldnt charge me any tax and i would only have to pay a title fee here. they signed a sales agreement with the final price on it and faxed it to the bank where i got the loan. i got a check for the exact amount. went down there got the jeep. came back
Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sringer
wow that sucks. i live in montana. i bought my jk used from salt lake city. they told me on the phone that they wouldnt charge me any tax and i would only have to pay a title fee here. they signed a sales agreement with the final price on it and faxed it to the bank where i got the loan. i got a check for the exact amount. went down there got the jeep. came back
That's great!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

I got a call from the local tag office this afternoon. Seems that the tax commissioner has a conscience. He acknowledged giving me the extension and has waived the ad valorem and penalties, so I ran down to the tag office and paid before something else wierd could happen. Finally, my JK is legal!

This brings my final cost to about $36,900. I paid 10% tax on this car: 7% to Indiana and 3% to Forsyth County Georgia. Time to put this mess behind me and start thinking about trail rides, weekenders and Jamborees! Hey, if any of you ride in the Georgia/Tennessee/Alabama area, I'd appreciate hearing from you with some good places to go!

Last edited by vette67; 01-26-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi

...and has waived the ad valorem and penalties, so I ran down to the tag office and paid before something else wierd could happen...

...Time to put this mess behind me and start thinking about trail rides, weekenders and Jamborees!...
Glad to hear that there was some consolation in the end. I agree with you - now that the JK is legal, it's time to start enjoying it. Happy Jeeping
Old 01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Glad to hear that there was some consolation in the end. I agree with you - now that the JK is legal, it's time to start enjoying it. Happy Jeeping
Thanks! I know I have a lot to learn.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Jedi

Thanks! I know I have a lot to learn.
Take your time. You'll learn in due time - it's all about having fun and where possible, keep the soft side up
Old 01-26-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a call from the local tag office this afternoon. Seems that the tax commissioner has a conscience. He acknowledged giving me the extension and has waived the ad valorem and penalties, so I ran down to the tag office and paid before something else wierd could happen. Finally, my JK is legal!

This brings my final cost to about $36,900. I paid 10% tax on this car: 7% to Indiana and 3% to Forsyth County Georgia. Time to put this mess behind me and start thinking about trail rides, weekenders and Jamborees! Hey, if any of you ride in the Georgia/Tennessee/Alabama area, I'd appreciate hearing from you with some good places to go!
Good to hear you didn't have to pay the extra fee. Would you ever buy out of state again?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JerryJeff
I live in LA but the dealerships near me were not willing to put any work into finding the Jeep I wanted. I found the one I wanted on the internet and it happened to be at a dealership in MS. I bought my Jeep in MS and had not issues with the tax, title license process at all. I am treat like I have leprosy by the local dealership though...

I hope you get this worked out, the dealership needs to refund your taxes!!
Yeah I'm kinda treated the same way cause I bought mine elsewhere and also treated like that from the guy who did my lift cause I didn't buy my tires from him only because I got mine for $75 cheaper per tire that he quoted me

Quick Reply: WARNING! Before you buy your new Jeep from an out-of-state dealer, read this.