Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Warranty Issues, well sorta. Need thoughts.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Issues, well sorta. Need thoughts.

So i was driving out on LBI (the beach) here in NJ last weekend and my transmission (automatic) overheated and failed on me. It would not shift into reverse and was completely stuck in 3rd gear. As we all know there have been some on-going problems with JK autos overheating, so I figured between that and the beach driving it finally had enough. Well I clean the Jeep up real nice, switch out the burnt transmission fluid with some fresh stuff, which helped in itself in that it started shifting again, and take it in to the dealership to have it looked at. The guys are great, but tell me it will be about 3-5 days. Seems reasonable to me, so I go on my way. Well I call back today (6 days later) to get an update, and find out it hasn't been touched! I'm told they have been waiting for parts, but will get started as soon as they come in. Frustrated I call back for the Service Manager. I ask him whats the deal, and say its hard not having a vehicle for this long. He gives me the explanation that the Regional Manager has been in town, and based on the modifications to my Jeep and all the mud in the undercarriage, if he (regional manager) saw it, the Warranty option would be out the window. He tells me they have had it parked in the back out of view to avoid that problem, and now that he is gone they will work on it today. He said they even have the parts but havn't been able to get it up to work on until all was clear. He goes on to say that he doesn't mind fixing it, he gets paid either way, so no problem with him, but if corporate gets a view of it they will black list it and I'll be out the warranty.

Now if this is the case I appreciate the effort he has taken, and apart from the wait the whole service department has been awesome, but I still feel it is pretty ridiculous this is such a big deal. I have tires and wheels, plus some basic mods (like a Mopar bumper). Jeep is marketed as an offroad brand. They promote Camp Jeep, Jeep Jamboree, all the Wrangler ads show a Wrangler off road. Why are 33" tires and a little mud enough to void a Warranty according to corporate.

Soryr this is long its just been bugging me all day. Thoughts?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Google "Magnuson-Moss Act".

Unless a modification is directly responsible for a failure, a car manufacturer can not denny warranty repair. In your case it seems that it could go either way because your mods directly affect the transmission, I am not suggesting that the mods are the problem,it is unlikely, but there is a direct connection nevertheless. Did you re-gear yourself? or did the 4.10 gear came factory installed?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I am familiar with the law and I was ready to throw it out there if need be, although the Service manager doesnt seem interested and is happy to do the repair.

The gears were from the factory, no mods there.

I felt like I was being given the impression that the fact it had been offroad could void the warranty, for a vehicle obviously marketed as such. And I dont think aftermarket steel wheels vs stock steel wheels, and 33" tires vs 30" tires is enough to void a warranty on a transmission... right?

Either way it is being covered, more just curious for future, and for anyone else that might have a similar problem.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ESPMike
So i was driving out on LBI (the beach) here in NJ last weekend and my transmission (automatic) overheated and failed on me. It would not shift into reverse and was completely stuck in 3rd gear. As we all know there have been some on-going problems with JK autos overheating, so I figured between that and the beach driving it finally had enough. Well I clean the Jeep up real nice, switch out the burnt transmission fluid with some fresh stuff, which helped in itself in that it started shifting again, and take it in to the dealership to have it looked at. The guys are great, but tell me it will be about 3-5 days. Seems reasonable to me, so I go on my way. Well I call back today (6 days later) to get an update, and find out it hasn't been touched! I'm told they have been waiting for parts, but will get started as soon as they come in. Frustrated I call back for the Service Manager. I ask him whats the deal, and say its hard not having a vehicle for this long. He gives me the explanation that the Regional Manager has been in town, and based on the modifications to my Jeep and all the mud in the undercarriage, if he (regional manager) saw it, the Warranty option would be out the window. He tells me they have had it parked in the back out of view to avoid that problem, and now that he is gone they will work on it today. He said they even have the parts but havn't been able to get it up to work on until all was clear. He goes on to say that he doesn't mind fixing it, he gets paid either way, so no problem with him, but if corporate gets a view of it they will black list it and I'll be out the warranty.

Now if this is the case I appreciate the effort he has taken, and apart from the wait the whole service department has been awesome, but I still feel it is pretty ridiculous this is such a big deal. I have tires and wheels, plus some basic mods (like a Mopar bumper). Jeep is marketed as an offroad brand. They promote Camp Jeep, Jeep Jamboree, all the Wrangler ads show a Wrangler off road. Why are 33" tires and a little mud enough to void a Warranty according to corporate.

Soryr this is long its just been bugging me all day. Thoughts?
So, the Regional Manager is under your jeep doing the work? How does he know what it is there for? Is he questioning every vehicle there in the garage?

But also, are they gonna do the work under warranty? Sure, your mods prolly do not have anything to do with what went wrong but that does not mean they can not give you a hard time for pressing them (which is wrong if they did).

Could be a damned if you do..damned if you don't type thing.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

They are covering it. I called today hoping it would be finished since they told me 3-5 days last Tuesday. I called today to find out they havent touched it yet. The reason I got for why no work has been done is since the regional manager was in town.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are covering it. I called today hoping it would be finished since they told me 3-5 days last Tuesday. I called today to find out they havent touched it yet. The reason I got for why no work has been done is since the regional manager was in town.
Do you have a lift? How many miles on the Jeep?

Last edited by Hellbound13; 10-13-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Do you have a lift? How many miles on the Jeep?
No lift, only 3/4" spacers in the front. 13,300 miles.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No lift, only 3/4" spacers in the front. 13,300 miles.
Wow that is a scary thought. No life and denial on a transmission. I hope they don't deny mine, when it goes. I have 11,000 and 32 inch mud terrains on there. Also have aftermarket wheels and bumper.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

It wasnt all muddy at all. I gave it a very good cleaning before I took it in. The service manager said there was alot of mud on the undercarriage, which I do believe. Anyone who has wheeled in the pine barrens knows that mud gets everywhere! I gave it a really good once over at one of those drive up power wash car washes then again at home, but im sure up under the undercarriage there was still some mud residue, which Im sure is what he was referring to.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well this mess continues. Here is a timeline so far....

10/7 - Drop the Jeep off, told 3-5 days
10/8-10/12 - No word from them
10/13 - I call and get the story from the original post
10/14-10/16 - No word
10/17 - I call back for an update, said it is being worked on that second and will be done no later then the middle of next week.
10/18-10/20 - No word again
10/21 - I call hoping it will be finished, and I am told tomorrow night.
10/22 - No word
10/23 - I call, they say the wrong parts came in so they need to reorder and it will be a few more days.

Im at a loss. Today makes 17 days they have had the Jeep, on what was a 3-5 day job. I'm losing my fucking mind with these people. I was pissed and I let them know it when I got the most recent bullshit response today, but fact is they are still telling me several more days. At this rate it will be November before I have my Jeep back!

Quick Reply: Warranty Issues, well sorta. Need thoughts.