Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Washin' Your Jeep

Old 04-26-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washin' Your Jeep

I want to keep my JK as good as I can. So I was wondering. What do you use to wash your jeep? Wax, soap, protectants, everything.

freak out
Old 04-26-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Since I purchased it the end of 2007, I think I've washed it twice... I think there's a rule against washing them too often
Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

op here. I'm an exception. And so is Earl. Yea, I named my Jeep. Andddddddd, I'm only 16.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Use a pressure washer with just plain water to remove mud and heavy dirt. Don't spray directly into rubber or door/window cracks. Keep a distance when spraying a soft top so the spray is not too concentrated.

The Turtle wax ice products are great. I use the Ice car wash soap in a bucket with a soft car wash brush on a stick to clean it quickly.

After drying use Plexus plastic cleaner on the soft top windows with a cotton cloth, I use cotton diapers.

For windows inside and out I love "Invisible Glass" window cleaner.

Use the Ice spray detailer to make the textured black plastic fenders come back to black from grey. The "Back to Black" cleaner works really well on the fenders and stock bumpers but you use half a bottle each time so it is expensive to use. The ice detailer is much cheaper since it sprays on so you use less each time.

Use the ice synthetic polish (liquid or paste) to "wax" the vehicle as it leaves no white residue on the black plastic, mirrors, bumpers, fenders, etc. It beads water for a year though frequent mud and pressure washings causes it to lose its beading sooner.

All these are available from Autozone.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like mequiars cleaner wax. Lasts pretty long and looks great. I mainly just hose the soft top with no soap, and concentrate heavily on the undercarriage in the winter months. damn salt !
Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

...gotta like that 'plexus plastic cleaner' i use it on the motorcycles. stuff is high tech.

...i just heard that 3M bought out the 'meguire's product line about a year ago. mergers & acquisitions.

...for me on the jeep...'kit' car wash and wax. real simple and low tech. vinegar and water on the plastic windows with soft cotton cloth.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
JK Junkie

Some believe dirt and grime is a badge of honor. There is a few threads on this subject including one that has hints of how to use mud itself to protect the paint and undercarriage.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like when its dirtied by mud but also like it when its spotless clean.
For cleaning I use just soap and water, simple and works well. Then just a quick chamois dry and 303 on all vinyl and rubber surfaces.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wash mine with dawn soap and water. I did put some wax on her the other day to protect some of the deep scratches that i put on her from last weekend.

If you wheel it in mud shove the hose in your bump stops to clean it out. the dirt likes to pack in them nice and tight.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:37 AM
JK Junkie

no idea what i use, 'car soap'. i've waxed it twice in a year, last time i did, I clay bar'd it too.

Quick Reply: Washin' Your Jeep