Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What do the initials stand for: JK, TJ, YJ, CJ?

Old 12-27-2019, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Autoweek I did some research (I have too much time on my hands)
This an excerpt from an Autoweek article
The original pronunciation of "Willys" was with a short "i" sound for the 'y"; so it was pronounced "Will-iss". But it seems to have been transmuted by the same flexibility of language that could produce "Jeep" out of "GP". I've heard that the workers in the Willys factories were the first people to mispronounce the name. Like most everyone I have every talked with, they pronounced it with a long "e" sound for the "y".

I'll continue to call it a Willies (Willys) I'm an old guy and oftentimes not politically correct.
The following users liked this post:
Dat (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 08:41 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SprkEng56
I'm an old guy and oftentimes not politically correct.
my definition of old guy changes the older I get

The following users liked this post:
SprkEng56 (12-30-2019)
Old 03-06-2020, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The jeep changes vehicle I'd every so often to avoid recalls they only recall vehicle

CJ = "Civilian Jeep"
YJ = “Yuppy Jeep” or “You’ve-gotta-be-kidding: SQUARE headlights on a Jeep?!?!”
TJ = “True Jeep” or “Tough Jeep” (a return to the “classic” Jeep)
JK = “Jeep King” (i.e. the best there’s ever been ) or “Jeep Killer” (if you listen to the ignorant, jealous purists out there that think it’s a minivan ).[/QUOTE]
Old 04-05-2021, 10:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RenoosRemoob
Thanks to all. I still think the letters have to stand for or represent something. I don't think they just pull two letters out of thin air. But, since I can't seem to prove otherwise, I guess I will just have to accept that answer.

In response to gpwpat. Well, I found that history from several sources. I just did a google search on JP. The few sources I found that information from included Hill Aerospace Museum, Hill Air Force Base in Utah; The Word Detective, Wikipedia, and Answers.com.
CJ - Civilian Jeep YJ- Yuppie Jeep TJ- Touring Jeep
Old 04-13-2021, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default I could be wrong...

Back when I was younger (30 years ago) we used to joke that YJ stood for Yuppie Jeep and TJ meant Trendy Jeep. I shudder to think about what people think JK means... (I drive one)

Originally Posted by RenoosRemoob
Last Friday, my wife and I got our 2007 Jeep Wrangler X. I previously owned a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport and my wife has owned a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport.

I understand that the CJ jeep apparently stood for "civilian jeep." Then, in 1987 Jeep created the first Wrangler, which was referred to as the YJ, and followed by the TJ in 1997. Now, Jeep Wranglers are referred to as JK.

Does anyone know what the initials, YJ, TJ, and JP stand for? I know that the designations refer to the separate body styles that the Jeep is built in or on. But, surely the initials refer to something or stand for something. I would appreciate it if anyone knows this and could enlighten us.

From various Internet sights, I've found the following explanations for the Jeep's history. But, no mention of JK, YJ, or TJ.

"In 1939 the U.S. Army invited proposals for a new military vehicle to replace its aging fleet of motorcycles and Ford Model T trucks. Three companies eventually responded with prototypes: Ford Motor Company, Willys-Overland, and American Bantam Car Company. The production contract was awarded to Willys in July 1941. Ford agreed to build from Willys’ plans and Bantam built trailers for the Willys vehicle.

Then, the Ford entrant in the design competition was called the “GP,” which in Ford parlance stood for “Government 80 in wheelbase Reconnaissance Car” (Willys called their design the “MB.”). “The word, ‘jeep’ came from the name of the character ‘Eugene the Jeep,’ introduced in the Popeye comic strip in 1936. The association of ‘jeep’ with the small four-wheel drive vehicle, however, wasn’t made until a few years later. The Army designated these sturdy little trucks ‘General Purpose,’ or ‘G.P.’ for short. To soldiers raised on Popeye, the transformation of ‘G.P.’ into ‘jeep’ was inevitable, and so pervasive that the Willys-Overland Motor Company trademarked the name ‘Jeep’ in 1940.

When slurred, “GP” led to the name “jeep,” which stuck to the small four-wheel-drive vehicle even though the Willys design actually won the competition and Ford ended up building the Willys design. Following World War II, public demand was so high that Willys continued producing the Jeep in tremendous numbers, re-designated as the “CJ-2A” (CJ for “civilian Jeep”). The vehicle was produced for the Army in continually improved versions until 1981, when it was replaced by the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (the “Hummer”).”

If anyone has seen or heard an explanation of these initials, I would appreciate anything you could share with me.

Thanks

Last edited by resharp001; 04-13-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by takiniteasy88
It is so simple and obvious. JK= Just Kool
not sure what the letter stand for I thought it was stood for typical Jeep
however I do know the under frames are not the same on a TJ and a YJ and that's the difference in the initials itself.

Quick Reply: What do the initials stand for: JK, TJ, YJ, CJ?