Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What does this dash light indicate?

Old 04-11-2017, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this dash light indicate?

On my way home from the trails I got a new dash light. It's kind of hard to explain but it looks like a car peeling out. It's a car with two sqiggly lines below it on the bottom right of my dash. Anyone know what it is?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I think that is your traction control light. Is the Jeep driving ok? Any wires hanging off in your hub areas?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I think that is your traction control light. Is the Jeep driving ok? Any wires hanging off in your hub areas?
+1....Since you were just wheelin, make sure your speed sensor/abs lines didn't get ripped apart/out by a branch or something. Another common reason that pops up is the steering wheel isn't straight, but doesn't sound likely in your case today.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I finally found it in the manual and you are right, it's the ESC. We did some pretty technical wheeling today so I probably knocked something loose. Strange that it came on about 10 miles after leaving the trails.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh and my steering wheel isn't centered, but it hasn't been for about a month. Maybe I'll try that first it's a pretty easy fix.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well it healed itself. At least now my steering wheel is centered again!
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Any idea how the steering wheel got off center (and then back on)? After a lift, that will usually cause the steering wheel centering to change so resetting is necessary. After wheeling, it's often caused by a bent drag link (tie rod can cause it, too, but my experience is that the drag link takes the brunt of the damage). Usually the bend is mild and you can adjust it out and continue to run the same drag link. But, if yours "self-corrected" just under normal driving, recommend get under there and check out the steering components for bends and loose hardware, and the ends for wear.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOK
Oh and my steering wheel isn't centered, but it hasn't been for about a month.
That'll definitely do it. I can't imagine driving a month with a steering wheel that is off just a bit even....would drive me insane. LOL. Seems like you've been getting out quite a bit the last couple weeks. Although this was not your problem this time, Mark brings up a good point about the factory DL and TR, so just keep an eye on them. I've not seen a factory DL bend myself, but I've seen numerous factory TR's bend pretty easily, mine included. Just something to keep an eye on.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

The steering wheel wasn't off bad, maybe 20 degrees. I just got used to it. It got knocked off after a particularly tough day on the trails. I found the adjusting collar just a little loose and it looked like one of the bolts had a pretty good rock hit. Just a slight turn and she was centered again. There are a couple pretty deep water crossings at Disney where I was so I suspect maybe one of the speed sensors got wet or something.

Quick Reply: What does this dash light indicate?