Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What to get first?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to get first?

Hey everyone,

I just picked up my 08 unlimited Rubicon a few weeks ago and already taken it out wheeling and love it. Now I want to start getting some parts for it to help on the trail and was wondering what you all would recommend to get first. Skid plates, lift, winch or what.

Thanks

Chad
Old 05-04-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeeperKreeper
Hey everyone,

I just picked up my 08 unlimited Rubicon a few weeks ago and already taken it out wheeling and love it. Now I want to start getting some parts for it to help on the trail and was wondering what you all would recommend to get first. Skid plates, lift, winch or what.

Thanks

Chad
Def go for a lift first, then some big mud terrains. It really depends on your budget though. Grats on the new jeep and welcome to the forum
Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosox5
Def go for a lift first, then some big mud terrains. It really depends on your budget though. Grats on the new jeep and welcome to the forum
X2, except you might want to stick with A/T if this is a daily driver. As for the winch, just wheel with other people so you can delay the purchase ... buy some bumpers, rock sliders, and upgraded lighting in the meantime.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

well i was talking to a guy at national4x4 and he recommended a 4" superlift if i want to put 35's on. does that sound right? or do i only need like a 3" lift?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well i was talking to a guy at national4x4 and he recommended a 4" superlift if i want to put 35's on. does that sound right? or do i only need like a 3" lift?
Keep in mind that not all 35" tires are created equal. You will have to look at the specs of each individual tire to really know what you're getting. Some are listed as 35" but are really in the 33" range, for example!

I have the 3" Black Diamond lift, which is the same company (now) as Superlift. I run 35s just fine, except for the rear tires do rub the fenders/wheel wells under full flex. If I chop the fenders, and install a swaybar disconnect, this won't be an issue anymore.

You should be fine with a 3", but be prepared to chop those fenders...
Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a Teraflex 2.5 Coil lift with shocks and fit 35's just fine. My lift actually yielded me 3 inches in the front and 2.2 inches in the rear to make up for the factory rake. IMO, 4 inches is alot of lift for just 35's and its best to keep your center of gravity lower anyway.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

A LOT of people on here are running the Teraflex 2.5" Coil lift with great success(myself included). With this amount of lit, you can get by running the stock 32's for awhile until it's upgrade time(IMO, it doesn't look too bad) ..and it's perfect for 35's..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	018..jpg
Views:	28
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	65169   Click image for larger version

Name:	017..jpg
Views:	39
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	65170  

Quick Reply: What to get first?