Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What makes a fully modified JK still a JK?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes a fully modified JK still a JK?

So I have a 2012 Rubicon with a big lift and 37" tires (Just for some background). But I am curious why some people on this forum don't move to another forum that better suits the intentions of their Rigs. If you remove/change out the complete axle assemblies, suspension, motor and transmission, you have a "Jeep JK" as far as Bigfoot is a Ford. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading about what other people are doing to their "Jeeps" but a lot of these are buggies with Jeep bodies. I guess to me a JK is a Jeep with mild modifications (suspension and tires and gears) as well as the Kmart options (racks, seat covers, bumpers, etc). If you want a rock crawler.....buy one, they are one he'll of a lot cheaper and you don't pay for the fluff. Not venting....just confused I guess. You guys know who you are and you have badass machines.....just not "JK's" anymore IMHO.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

not exactly. unlike bigfoot which is all custom, all the axle assemblies, suspension, motor and transmission, etc are still made to work specifically with a JK and others can do the same if they choose to with relative ease.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

As far as the forum question goes I feel that JKforum is a community and just because you feel that your JK still is one or not I feel the forum is more about the JK culture and the people and companies that are involved and participate within it.

And your JK is still a JK cause you VIN says so. haha

Last edited by longms; 05-22-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: edit
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

For some....many have custom axle assemblies, new suspension geometry, coil overs that require cutting into the body. That is all custom. Just because "others can copy" doesn't make it a JK IMO. It just makes it so others can copy. I guess my point is, at some point, you do things to be the baddest on your block, but in the process you lose your true self. A Jeep body, doesn't mean you drive a Jeep.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollidizzle
For some....many have custom axle assemblies, new suspension geometry, coil overs that require cutting into the body. That is all custom. Just because "others can copy" doesn't make it a JK IMO. It just makes it so others can copy. I guess my point is, at some point, you do things to be the baddest on your block, but in the process you lose your true self. A Jeep body, doesn't mean you drive a Jeep.
well, you're free to believe whatever it is you want to believe. my JK fits your bill pretty closely and to me, it's every bit a JK as the next. but hey, that's just me.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are building a rock crawler.....awesome....go chat with the rock crawlers. If you are building a mud truck...awesome...go chat with those guys. I think a lot of the people on here get overwhelmed with some of these mods (financially and mechanically) that they lose sight of what they are really going to use their Jeeps for. A JK is a Jeep, a subculture I have been a part of for 17 years ( was just recently referred here), Jeeps are expensive, they are expensive upfront and to mod. A lot of these guys spend hard money on something they mod up and it ends up costing them a lot of money when a stock rig or slightly modified rig would do.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
well, you're free to believe whatever it is you want to believe. my JK fits your bill pretty closely and to me, it's every bit a JK as the next. but hey, that's just me.
Somebody just suggested the founder of this forum leave and go to another?

You have got to be JKING
Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't say leave and go to another....just think you are losing a lot of good JK owners to intimidation. Wol's rig is badass, mine is a little bitch compared to it....I am man enough to admit that. Maybe I just said what I hear a lot of people say all the time.....and I often times think. I love the forum, check it every day (multiple times a day). I love reading what others are doing....I just don't see the benefit some have on the forum that's all.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

So I have a 2012 Rubicon with a big lift and 37" tires (Just for some background). But I am curious why some people on this forum don't move to another forum that better suits the intentions of their Rigs. If you remove/change out the complete axle assemblies, suspension, motor and transmission, you have a "Jeep JK" as far as Bigfoot is a Ford. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading about what other people are doing to their "Jeeps" but a lot of these are buggies with Jeep bodies. I guess to me a JK is a Jeep with mild modifications (suspension and tires and gears) as well as the Kmart options (racks, seat covers, bumpers, etc). If you want a rock crawler.....buy one, they are one he'll of a lot cheaper and you don't pay for the fluff. Not venting....just confused I guess. You guys know who you are and you have badass machines.....just not "JK's" anymore IMHO.
I don't know many guys with Rockcrawlers that can drive to and from the trail. (couple hour drives one way) I love the fact a very well built JK can hit Moab, the Rubicon trail and drive home.

Its not only a great rockcrawler, but its a good DD as well
Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't say leave and go to another....just think you are losing a lot of good JK owners to intimidation. Wol's rig is badass, mine is a little bitch compared to it....I am man enough to admit that. Maybe I just said what I hear a lot of people say all the time.....and I often times think. I love the forum, check it every day (multiple times a day). I love reading what others are doing....I just don't see the benefit some have on the forum that's all.
Maybe I'm a little confused but I'm pretty sure that there are different categories and one of those would be stock while the other is modified.

Quick Reply: What makes a fully modified JK still a JK?