Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

This is what the new Commander Should look like

Old 02-14-2008, 01:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is what the new Commander Should look like

Saw a blulb about a new Defender 90 version on The Car Connection and followed the link to the Land Rover site. I didn't realize that they still made Defender 110 4 door SUVs.

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehic...tion_wagon.htm

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehic...tion_wagon.htm

With a 110 inch wheel base and seating for 7, this is what the Commander should have been. Interestingly, the 4door JK has about the same wheel base, but with less rear overhang and not as much green house space. Put the rear over hang of a Grand Cherokee on a JK frame and you have about the same dimensions. Considering a loaded Land Rover 4drs are under $46k, with a crappy exchange rate and the Land Rover name, I would think that Jeep could hit the price point, or even lower. The 110 has an aluminum body too, that would be a cool way to help extend the life of the vehicle.

Since Jeep seems sensative to canabalizing Grand Cherokee sales, Jeep could leave the GC as the luxury model, and this outsized Jk variant at the top end. It seems rugged 4door SUVs like the JK sell well.

Sorry, not really a rumor, more an observation. The more I hear about Cerebus, the more I worry about anything new out of Jeep, including a diesel engine let alone new models.

Last edited by ColoradoJeep06; 02-14-2008 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Commander model has already been dropped... sorry!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
Commander model has already been dropped... sorry!
Where did you get that from?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by brently54
Where did you get that from?
It was posted on this board awhile back.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I too had heard that the Commander was a dead model rolling. I was thinking they could extend the JK platform for the larger capacity model.

I think the larger than the GC/Tahoe/Land Cruiser size segmant is just too important for Jeep to leave empty, and the Aspen and Durango just aren't going to do it for Chrysler. If the CAFE standards hit like I think, the larger, more capable, higher margin models are going to be the SUVs that survive. That and smaller 2L diesel powered cross-over type units.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

If they can make a Rover roll with a 2.4l CRD then they can do the same with the JK or the other vehicles.

If cerebus wants to make some money with this then they have to spend some first.

Then need to invest in some diesel technology and the sales will climb.

I laugh at their business people.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Omega Man
If they can make a Rover roll with a 2.4l CRD then they can do the same with the JK or the other vehicles.

If cerebus wants to make some money with this then they have to spend some first.

Then need to invest in some diesel technology and the sales will climb.

I laugh at their business people.
Give Jim Press some time before you laugh at him.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Now go and make the Commander/Wagoneer right, or I shall taunt you a second time!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

What about this...

http://jeepin.com/news/rescue/

I think it had a 5.9 diesel too.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mizedog, thanks for that, I had forgotten what that concept was called. That is BIG vehicle. The styling is very JK, was this ever really thought of as a real model, or just as a design test for the JK.

80 inches wide and a 123 inch wheel base and 37 inch tires.

Not making a big one made sense when they were part of MB, but now I think there is room for a GL size glass vehicle.

I just really like the utilitarian basicness of the 110. Spartan, but not uncomforable looking. Something I think Jeep could pull of very well. I guess you could still have an Overland model with all the creature comforts.

Quick Reply: This is what the new Commander Should look like