Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What's up with articulation?

Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with articulation?

I have this question; and have never found anyone really talking about it in great detail on this site. Before I pose the question I also want to say I've been a JK owner since Jan. 07. Okay, why do TJs seem to have better articulation than the JKs? I've been waiting for a bolt on kit that can compete with the TJ kits; can't wait to buy a kit but want the one with the absolute most flex. Example: the TJ RE long arm kit flexes like crazy compared to the JK, am i right or is this an illusion? I've been looking at the FT 4" long arm lately but don't know much about flex;

Where are the RTI scores for RE, TF, FT and Rancho long arm kits?

Have my 37's mounted, just waiting to find the perfect kit!!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Well, the RTI score is related directly to the percentage of your wheel base you can raise a tire...so the longer you are (The longer your wheelbase), the worse your RTI score for the same amount of tire lift.

IE: The shorter the rig, the higher the RTI score for the same distance up the ramp.

So - the JK, esp the 4dr, is longer than the TJ.

The 4 dr is 116" (WB)...

IE: It will require the 4 dr JK to go FURTHER up the same ramp, to get the SAME RTI score as a TJ, etc.

Does it make more sense to you now?

Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

You can look and see some here: Flexed-up Photos...Put em here!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I understand that; I however have a 2 door which is a couple inches longer, 5 i believe. I understand the mechanics of how the RTI score works; my question is how a TJ can score a 1400 and I haven't seen a JK get even close. Sorry for the confusion about the first post
Old 04-21-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoombaMR20
I understand that; I however have a 2 door which is a couple inches longer, 5 i believe. I understand the mechanics of how the RTI score works; my question is how a TJ can score a 1400 and I haven't seen a JK get even close. Sorry for the confusion about the first post
A JK can have the exact same amount of wheel travel as a TJ, but it won't score as well on the RTI due to the formula used in the calculation because of the longer wheelbase. RTI numbers aren't everything.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buddy has a 4" skyjacker complete suspension for his tj.. control arms and all the goodies. i have a 2.5 tf bb with shocks. i articualte and keep traction quite a bit better than he does and he admits it. lot of places i could go while he had two tires in the air spinning, same approach angle.
go to the trails and tales section and find the EJS MOAB threads posted by wayoflife and then watch the steel bender video..... SDMF's jeep flexes like crazy.. it's rediculous.

HERE! i did the work for you cause i wanted to watch the video again
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-trails-tales-71/video-steel-bender-trail-project-jk-moab-ejs-2008-day-2-a-34072/
1:50 into the video

Last edited by davebloomer; 04-21-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: What's up with articulation?