Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is the wheelbase too long?

Old 06-25-2007, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What really stands out for me is the ability to climb up and over something. The wheelbase makes it really awesome. Things that are easy now were alot harder in my 94" wb TJ.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by doojer
I'm sure you agree-- you'll be doing Swamp Lake in your Unlimited, right?

No doubt about it. Locker going in this week.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing the pics!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
You already put one in the front, right? What locker are you going with?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Renegade
You already put one in the front, right? What locker are you going with?
I'm putting a Aussie in the front for now. Haven't decided on the rear yet. I'll probably go with a Detroit when I regear and I'll probably go with a Detroit in the front at the same time.. i'll be doing that at the end of this year. I've had great luck with Detroits so why change. The Aussie is only temporary. Cheap and easy fix for now.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cab76
Dude, I think you need to get your facts straight. There is more to wheeling capability than wheelbase! You should be looking at breakover angle, rather than the wheelbase length. If you compare the TJ Unlimited Rubi (103" wheelbase) breakover angle with the JK Unlimited Rubi, you'll see that they are similar. The TJ breakover is 22.8 while the JK Unlimited Rubi breakover is 20.8. A small lift easily bring you back to the stock TJ Unlimited Rubi breakover angle. I think ghostship has posted some calcs on this in the past that were pretty convincing. And, the JK comes stock with approach and departure angles that are improved (much improved in the case of departure) when compared to the TJ. Stock ground clearance is also better in the JK. I would rather have a longer wheelbase and shorter front/rear overhangs because you can always compensate for the longer wheelbase by lifting, wheras cutting your front or rear overhang is a major undertaking - just my 2 cents!

Also - take a look in the photos section - there are plenty of photos and videos of stock Unlimiteds wheeling moderately difficult trails.
That’s all fine and dandy, I would hope that if they come out with a new vehicle centered around off road performance that it would have better ratios/#'s than its predecessor. But I never said that the TJ’s unlimited’s wheelbase was better, It would also get hung up when doing any extensive wheeling. Obviously there are more things than wheelbase that come into play when wheeling, but thats not what the post was discussing. Im not comparing the TJ to the JK or the JK to any other vehicle. I love the new Unlimiteds and am buying one as soon as my TJ sells, but I will atleast have 37's on it. Maybe my idea of wheeling is different than yours.
When I think of wheeling, I think of this..........

and

Not this.....

So before you speak, make sure you get your facts straight and remember that I am your daddy.

Last edited by 00pumpkin; 06-25-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys, face it. We'll just never be as hardcore as 00pumpkin.

You should have picked this shot from my gallery, it would have proven your point even better....:toung:

Old 06-25-2007, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=00pumpkin;117212]That’s all fine and dandy, I would hope that if they come out with a new vehicle centered around off road performance that it would have better ratios/#'s than its predecessor. But I never said that the TJ’s unlimited’s wheelbase was better, It would also get hung up when doing any extensive wheeling. Obviously there are more things than wheelbase that come into play when wheeling, but thats not what the post was discussing. Im not comparing the TJ to the JK or the JK to any other vehicle. I love the new Unlimiteds and am buying one as soon as my TJ sells, but I will atleast have 37's on it. Maybe my idea of wheeling is different than yours.

and

first of all, i highly doubt most daily drivers would be doing that type of wheeling. i would be doing more mediocre wheeling, like stuff doojer and wol do. at the most some of michaelw's terrain.

to me, im either going to purchase the jk unlimited rubicon or the toyota FJ.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=Stan the Man;117332]
Originally Posted by 00pumpkin
That’s all fine and dandy, I would hope that if they come out with a new vehicle centered around off road performance that it would have better ratios/#'s than its predecessor. But I never said that the TJ’s unlimited’s wheelbase was better, It would also get hung up when doing any extensive wheeling. Obviously there are more things than wheelbase that come into play when wheeling, but thats not what the post was discussing. Im not comparing the TJ to the JK or the JK to any other vehicle. I love the new Unlimiteds and am buying one as soon as my TJ sells, but I will atleast have 37's on it. Maybe my idea of wheeling is different than yours.

and

first of all, i highly doubt most daily drivers would be doing that type of wheeling. i would be doing more mediocre wheeling, like stuff doojer and wol do. at the most some of michaelw's terrain.

to me, im either going to purchase the jk unlimited rubicon or the toyota FJ.
Mine is a daily driver and I intend on doing that.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Oh WTF! If that's your idea of wheeling, more power to ya. No manufacturer is going to cater to that type of wheeling. That jeep is so far removed from stock it may as well have started life as a tube buggy. Which would be a better start for that kind of terrain. you could still bolt a jeep grille to the front and call it one if you like..

If that was a typical day of wheeling I wouldn't buy a NEW jeep in the first place. There is nothing a new vehicle has to offer that is of any advantage in that scenario.

Quick Reply: Is the wheelbase too long?