Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wheels from Summit showed up damaged

Old 12-13-2007, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels from Summit showed up damaged

So I ordered 5 Cragar Soft 8's from Summit Racing. They showed up last night, 4 of the 5 rims were damaged. Dented, bent, and scratched! Each wheel had broken through the cardboard and the boxes were beat to hell. I put a claim in with UPS and they're picking all 5 back up. I called Summit and they put a claim in as well and have shipped out 5 new wheels.

Have any of you had trouble getting wheels through them? I've had wheels shipped before and always been problem free. I'm concerned that the second set is going to show up just as bad.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well that sucks. Sounds like they are going to make it right though - one less battle to fight. See if you can get them to overnight the new set for your troubles. Glad to hear that Summit Racing will step up like that.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... By soft do they really mean soft?? I would think wheels would have some substance to them to keep them from bending all out of whack just from shipping!
Old 12-13-2007, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by riverzendz
So I ordered 5 Cragar Soft 8's from Summit Racing. They showed up last night, 4 of the 5 rims were damaged. Dented, bent, and scratched! Each wheel had broken through the cardboard and the boxes were beat to hell. I put a claim in with UPS and they're picking all 5 back up. I called Summit and they put a claim in as well and have shipped out 5 new wheels.

Have any of you had trouble getting wheels through them? I've had wheels shipped before and always been problem free. I'm concerned that the second set is going to show up just as bad.
It isn't summit's fault. It is the fault of UPS.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

if they take a beating like just from boxed shipping, how will they hold up on a trail?

I had my procomps shipped with tires pre-mounted, they showed up on a pallet. much better experience for me, except for the long wait with no word on why it was such a long wait.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

It was definitely mis-handling by UPS. As for how badly the wheels were damaged, I was amazed being that they are steel. Whoever loaded and/or unloaded these things beat the living hell out of them. I used to work for FedEx Ground and I know things get handled rough but c'mon, this is some of the worst I've seen.

Summit definitely stepped right up. I asked him if he could expedite them for me considering the issues and I was hoping to have them mounted for the weekend. 3 wheels are coming from OH so they should be here by Friday. Two of the other wheels he threw on 2 day shipping, at no charge, so they should be here then.

Talk about being pissed off.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by riverzendz
It was definitely mis-handling by UPS. As for how badly the wheels were damaged, I was amazed being that they are steel. Whoever loaded and/or unloaded these things beat the living hell out of them. I used to work for FedEx Ground and I know things get handled rough but c'mon, this is some of the worst I've seen.

Summit definitely stepped right up. I asked him if he could expedite them for me considering the issues and I was hoping to have them mounted for the weekend. 3 wheels are coming from OH so they should be here by Friday. Two of the other wheels he threw on 2 day shipping, at no charge, so they should be here then.

Talk about being pissed off.
Good to know Summit actually shipped them out with your word! It's nice to see companies beleiving their customers. Expediting was probably no big deal for them. I'm sure UPS will pick up the tab (If they want to keep their account with summit!)

Weird thing is, packages always seem to be destroyed this time of year. I love UPS, but I'm not so sure they do their homework when they hire these seasonal workers. I'm sure if you bought them 2 months ago, the story would have been different.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Zee
JK Freak

That's UPS for you. I had an Ice Auger arrive with broken parts, and the box all torn up... and they tried to double chanrge brokerage, duty and tax even though it had all been pre-paid. Good to know Summit is coming through for you.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Yep, I'm glad they were courteous about it. They'll definitely keep me as a customer.

I suspect the same thing about the time of year. The mad rush for Xmas is definitely a part of this problem. Hopefully the next set isn't as bad.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:05 PM
JK Jedi

That is UPS gorillas at their best. When will companies realize this and pack things tougher. Maybe they sell more wheels that way if UPS is always picking up the tab.

Quick Reply: Wheels from Summit showed up damaged