Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: when to modify?
right out of the dealer.
59.32%
after a good break in period.
40.68%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

when to mod?

Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOW!! My neighbors thought I was crazy when they saw me under it with a sawzall cutting up the exhaust the 3rd day we had it!!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck was modded and rolling on 37's with 700 miles on the odo. It had its first trail damage at 850 miles and now is setting in the garage with 975 miles waiting for the next wheeling adventure.

Duke
Old 08-10-2007, 04:12 AM
JK Super Freak

It depends. Is this your first time behind the wheel of a jeep or is this like the latest of several? Assuming it is the first one then I would wait to do any modifications till I drove it some and could decide the things I needed. As it turns out all I have needed was cosmetic stuff such as a Safari top and CB. I would like a winch and maybe a few other cosmetic things but I realy don't need any major mods for the type of driving I do and will do with it. Now if it was the latest in the line of several I would already have an idea of the things I would need to do and know where to start. I would start on it as soon as I could afford parts. When and how to mod is up to you but make sure you need the mod because sometimes it is easier and cheaper to do without than it would be to change something and decide you don't like it then have to start all over agian.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:43 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I waited almost a year and about 8k miles.

Not because i was afraid to do it to a new one, or afraid of warranty issues, or whatever, but rather because i needed to save up the money and to let my modaholic "buy it all now" nature settle down a bit and make some informed decisions about what i wanted vs. needed, and what was the most cost effective way to do it. AKA i was trying to be an adult about it.

That being said, if i would have had the money at the time, it would be way overboard by now. And i would be loving it.

My vote is for as soon as you have the cash.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

If you don't have any expereance 4wheeling off road then I wouldn't do anything until you have some drive time off road. Then you know what you need and can buy wisely. I wouldn't mod just to keep up with the jones, I've seen to many people that sold thier 4x4's because they did a mod that ruined the driveablity of it. If you are looking for just the driveway/mall look, then go ahead and mod it right away. But you might not like it if you do try it off road. I have found that out of 12 4x4 that I have owned, only tires and a small lift was all I needed to get me where I wanted to go. Out of 5 jeeps, tires took me 95% of the places I wanted to go or drive over. I don't go for looks, I go for function. This is my opinion of course and it is your jeep, but like I said, if you are new to 4 wheeling then find out what you are doing with it first and find out what your new JK can do on it's own. You will be surprised what a stock jeep can do with just a good set of tires.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

I haven't gotten around to writing about it and posting pics yet, but I took my almost-stock (no lift or bigger tires) Sahara through The Badlands in Indiana and lived to tell about it. I did ALMOST roll once, and think that if I had a lift, I WOULD have! On the other hand, some beefy skidplates would've been a VERY worthwhile mod for the trails I conquered...

Point being: Make sure that you're REALLY familiar with your stock Jeep's handling and trail capabilities before you go and raise your COG with a lift and tires, or you may just find yourself needed to be rolled back over! That being said, I think you should armor your Jeep's undercarriage as soon as you can afford to (assuming you're going to do any offroading).

Just my $.02, and underscores Rupe's point above.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
I haven't gotten around to writing about it and posting pics yet, but I took my almost-stock (no lift or bigger tires) Sahara through The Badlands in Indiana and lived to tell about it. I did ALMOST roll once, and think that if I had a lift, I WOULD have! On the other hand, some beefy skidplates would've been a VERY worthwhile mod for the trails I conquered...

Point being: Make sure that you're REALLY familiar with your stock Jeep's handling and trail capabilities before you go and raise your COG with a lift and tires, or you may just find yourself needed to be rolled back over! That being said, I think you should armor your Jeep's undercarriage as soon as you can afford to (assuming you're going to do any offroading).

Just my $.02, and underscores Rupe's point above.
..........hi
Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
i needed to save up the money and to let my modaholic "buy it all now" nature settle down a bit and make some informed decisions about what i wanted vs. needed, and what was the most cost effective way to do it. AKA i was trying to be an adult about it.
Is there a support group or program to help me with this?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:38 AM
JK Junkie

All joking aside, I do agree about the "wait until you know what you want/need" thoery. At this point I know what I wanted to do, so I was able to make informed desicions about mods. But in the past I have made some bad (really bad) decisions about lifts and I totally ruined the drivability of one of my cherokees. I was in college and couldnt afford to fix my mistake right away. Lesson learned!!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bly109
Is there a support group or program to help me with this?
Yes there is a support program, it is called Jeepaholic, I will try to find the thread and bring it to the top.

see Should we start a chapter of JA start reading from the beginning it's pretty funny.

Last edited by rupedog; 08-10-2007 at 05:46 AM.

Quick Reply: when to mod?