Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Where do you clean your engine?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you clean your engine?

Just bought a new/old Jeep for my son and the engine needs a good Gunk cleaning BADLY. Steam cleaning is illegal here (Orange County, CA), so I need to Gunk it myself. I can't do it in the street or the driveway because of the mess. I thought of a self-serve car wash with the high pressure hoses, but there are none within convenient distance.

Has anyone ever come up with a solution to this dilemma?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What is defined as a "convenient distance"? Seems there would be something in/around Laguna Niguel, if that's where you're at.

If it's "illegal" according to municipal code or state law or whatever, that's your next best option is to drive to a self-serve car wash with a pressure spray wand. A car dealership or detail shop can also do it for you, but they'll want to charge for it. (The upside is they'll use a more powerful degreaser, and probably a much higher pressure steam gun)

In my part of the country, they still let you own a bottle of simple green and a pressure washer, right in your own driveway.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I take mine to the hand wash But i live close to them so its a little easier for me , there are a couple oh shops that will do it to around me

And just think I live on the other side of the mountain from you
Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well if you can get to a wash, take the filter off, cover the battery and any other electrical connectors, spray it down with an industrial de-greaser, allow it to soak, and then hit it with the pressure washer (carefully), go for it. Otherwise it sounds like you need to find a detailer who can handle this kind of thing.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Try Simple Green, it's biodegradable and cleans amazingly well. It doesn't stain your driveway or the street too!

Quick Reply: Where do you clean your engine?