Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Who's Totaled a JK?

Old 06-27-2016, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Now that the dust has settled, can we ask how it was totaled and what the extent of the damage looked like? I about rolled mine a few times this past weekend.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the time of the wreck it had just finished raining, and it was dusk. I was attempting to make a 45 degree turn from a two lane state highway on to a side road with a green light and hit an on coming car that I never saw until the last minute. Luckily they guy was by himself and was ok... He was probably going 50-60mph and i was probably going 35-45.

The reason for being a total loss is that the bent front axle pushed and bent the front drive shaft which also was pushed into the transfer case.... The adjuster said that once he replaced just those components we would be at 50% of the value. Sorry about the side ways images....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jwreck1.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	667.6 KB
ID:	650874Click image for larger version

Name:	Jwreck2.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	968.7 KB
ID:	650875Click image for larger version

Name:	Jwreck3.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	898.0 KB
ID:	650876Click image for larger version

Name:	Jwreck4.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	620.7 KB
ID:	650877Click image for larger version

Name:	Jwreck5.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	675.8 KB
ID:	650878Click image for larger version

Name:	Jwreckcar.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	859.2 KB
ID:	650879
Old 06-29-2016, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance

As a retired Farmer's insurance agent I can tell you that you are welcome to reclaim any parts you want before the appraisal. Once the appraisal is done, taking parts off (without notifying the adjuster) is theft.

Everyone that mods a vehicle should talk to their agent about adding coverage for those aftermarket parts. Documentation is absolutely key! You can insure for as much as you want as long as you can make the premium payments and document the cost at time of loss.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBAR Midway
As a retired Farmer's insurance agent I can tell you that you are welcome to reclaim any parts you want before the appraisal. Once the appraisal is done, taking parts off (without notifying the adjuster) is theft.

Everyone that mods a vehicle should talk to their agent about adding coverage for those aftermarket parts. Documentation is absolutely key! You can insure for as much as you want as long as you can make the premium payments and document the cost at time of loss.
This has actually saved me from having my vehicle totaled out on more than one occasion. Since they said they would cover my vehicle plus the cost of parts and labor for my add ons(which is somewhere around 12.5-15k) it greatly boosted the overall price tag that the insurance would have to give me for fair market value. Only thing they said that they would absolutely not cover is the winch. Everything else they told me they would cover and reimburse me if it was totaled.

Can't lose with that, especially when I made them give it to me in writing.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My winch was included, received about half the value for it but that was fine with me.

Quick Reply: Who's Totaled a JK?