Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why all the autos?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07rubiking
I also personally think that society today is turning people in to being lazy and making people take the easy way all the time with all the electronics and new technology people are forgetting the basics i like manual because of the challenge and I do feel more connected as well as it is built more robust then the automatic
Detroit has been installing automatics for decades... some better than others. Have a cell phone? ... does that mean people are too lazy to stop and use a phone booth?

Robust? ... think that manual gearbox in your JK can withstand 500-600 HP? I'd be surprised if it could....

I bet the clutch would last maybe 2K miles if we mounted and really used a JK manual trans behind a supercharged 6.1L Hemi. Even Shelby GT500s are known to go through clutches every 10K miles.... and that's with a Tremec 6-Speed.

Maybe Chrysler should give the diehard back-to-basic fanatics, three on the tree...

Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2012 auto is fantastic

we just wheeled in the anza borrego desert this weekend in our 2012 rubi auto and it is AMAZING in fact 1st gear in low range is so low i used 2nd on the hill climbs, and descents in 1st without any braking on very steep downhills were very slow, better than my 2006 LJR auto which was great. the really amazing thing about it is the select shift. just a quick tap up and down through the gears is an instantaneous response even if you're on a hill. it was like driving a stick without a clutch. this pentastar and auto combo is a real milestone.

i put an auto in my early bronco after being stuck on a hill at tds with the stick in my first outing with a wheel off the edge and being winched to safety. working everything with shaky legs in a stressful situation wasn't something i wanted to do again. so for me, it was a safety thing also. i was totally comfortable doing the same type of hills and ridges this weekend with the 2012. climbed smooth as glass, never spun a tire. my son's early bronco had a new process stick with the granny and he swore by it so i understand some folks really liking the stick. if you're good at it, and with the improvements in the JK stick version i imagine it's fine for some.

for those who questioned the new 2012 engine as an equivalent wheeler to the 4.0L or 3.8L, for me there's no question about it. it simply perfoms great!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07rubiking
i like manual because of the challenge and I do feel more connected
Pressing an extra pedal and rowing an extra lever is challenging?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

If Jeep Gets rid of the 6 spd i will not buy one i drive 100 miles a day back and forth to work i just grew up with a stick and i love it. But for the guys who drive in stop and go i can understand where the auto would come in talk about knee pain.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive an auto because I want to. I've driven manual, auto, on road, off-road...either way is fine by me. One is not better than the other. It's all about preference, which changes over time and circumstance.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 03fatboy
Always had a manual.

I complained my 08 JKU stick would jump around like a cat on a hot tin roof when hitting bumps, wife said the damn thing almost broke her wrist wheeling it moved so much. They said "normal".

Tested a 2012 manual, same deal.

Auto is a luxury/far smoother - I'll never go w/out again, plus it's faster in every way.

Yea, stick is fun, see my sig.

Thank you very, VERY much!! (*whew* I thought I was crazy!)

I test drove four different Wranglers: two with maual and two with auto over a one week period, alternating between the 6-speed and the 5-speed auto . . . trying to decide which one to purchase.

During my test drives, I thought I noticed the stick shifts jumping around a lot when going over bumps, etc. Even the salesman seemed to notice it, but didn't say anything (of course). It's probably not that big a deal, but it made me wonder about the quality of the manual transmission. I never bought a Jeep before, so I was concerned.

Anyway, I finally settled on the auto and I'm glad I did!

All best, Joe
Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe there should be a poll with this thread. Can the OP still add that?

Be HONEST do you know how to drive manual?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

DD and traffic Is definitely my main reasons for auto. I own a fast import car and a Ducati superbike.... I'll keep the gear shifting with those toys)). My Rubicon is my everyday , get me anywhere through any weather vehicle!! Things were designed to meet the specific needs of the owner!! Not everyone spends their saturday afternoons Rock Crawling!

Last edited by RescueG911; 11-15-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by foxbody
Wow, what an off the wall comparison. He compares the transmissions in the JK to each other, you compare the manual to Tremecs, lol.

In terms of strength, both are junk. The 6 speed will likely not hold up to 500hp, but it will hold up to the anemic JK's 200. The 42RLE has issues even with that meager 200.
Off the wall? ... what automatic trans do you think is sitting under the 2012 JK?

The same transmission in my 2010 Jeep SRT8.... and yes, it will withstand 500-600 HP. I know dozens of guys that are pushing over 600HP using the stock trans ... and some over 1000 HP with minimal work on the internals. Did you know this is a German transmission that was originally designed for the Mercedes AMG E55?

The point is your beloved manual transmission in the JK is "junk" as you eloquently stated...

So whoever started this thread.. "why all the autos?" The above facts are the reasons.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love driving manuals. My TJ was a stick and awesome to drive. After a wife, a few kids, and 45 minutes
each way to and from work in stop and go gridlock drove me to the auto. Love the auto. When I talk
my wife into my JK i'll get a manual so that way we have the best of both worlds. Anybody want to
talk her into it?

Quick Reply: Why all the autos?