Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why does my automatic transmission.....

Old 02-23-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mariner
only got yourself to blame for getting an automatic, that tranny should never have been put in a jeep in the first place, but then people like you bought them so quit bitchin and switch it for a 6 sp.

I wanted to try something different. This was my first auto jeep. Now I have to learn how to drive it.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't the transmission's fault that the stock ECM/ECU (whatever they are called these days) is programmed poorly to try to get extra mpg. When I had the same transmission in my ZJ it never upshifted at inappropriate times. On the highway as soon as I got past 10% throttle it would downshift from OD to 3rd. In town I NEVER made it out of 3rd gear. The lowest speed it used to shift to 4th/OD used to be about 48 mph and zero throttle input. At any amount of throttle input it had to be going at least 50 to get into OD.

So again, look into and ask around about programmers and you should be perfectly happy with your auto soon enough.

Quick Reply: Why does my automatic transmission.....