JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Why I dispise dealedships! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/why-i-dispise-dealedships-204756/)

trippnk 11-14-2011 07:34 PM

Why I dispise dealedships!

I finally got some money together for a down payment on a 2012 jku so went to my local jeep dealer. I took One with similar options for a ride and was sold. We went inside and did the usual back and forth on price shook hands and then did all the finance paperwork. The jeep I was getting had to be picked up from 700mi away which I wasn't happy about but agreed to it because it had everything I was looking for. That was all on Friday, they called me today to inform me that my jeep had been sold over the weekend because the call wasn't made till early today to setup the dealer trade!! WTF

I went back up there this afternoon to workout a new deal. Come to find out a natural green 4dr auto with 3.73 gears is a real PITA to locate! They salesman told me that he couldn't find one with those options....... I told himto try looking farther out and he were less than enthused. At that point they wife and I packed up the kids for the second time and left. Oh, forgot to mention that they already took my old car and I'm rocking their loaner!

When I got home I went to jeep.com, built what I wanted a clicked locate...... Found one after about 15min! Called the sales manager directly and told him where to look and even emailed him the link. He better call me back tomorrow, and he better give me a free lift kit installed for my headache!

You might ask why not just find a new dealer but this one is close, they have my car, and the jeep I found is 900i away so they can get it on their dime.

Just thought I'd share with y'all

JK Jeepster 11-14-2011 08:05 PM

What a pain in the arse...I wouldnt settle for anything less that what you wanted in the first place and ride that loaner for as long as it took them to find the one you wanted. I wouldnt deal with that salesman if you can call him that, work the sales manager over hard.

Good luck, I think you have the most leverage here, use it.

HumblePie 11-14-2011 08:08 PM

Did you sign anything? Maybe buy from the other dealer and make the first one pay you for your car. I know it's a PITA but it's your ride and you should get what you are happy with for a price you are comfortable paying. I have bought too many cars to play any "games" or not have anything as agreed upon. Don't settle and definitely make sure you get exactly what you are looking for. Hopefully they are apologetic...at least that would be a start... :)

cyclone.1983 11-14-2011 08:36 PM

My guess as to what actually happened is based off what happened to me when I use to sell vehicles. I would locate a vehicle that was available and when I finally got a hold of the dealership they had sold it and it hadnt been updated or the dealership had a "deal" working on that vehicle and refused to trade.

You finding that Jeep online when they couldnt find one to trade for doesnt mean anything. Often times there are vehicles they cant trade for or if a smaller dealership for example has onley a few jeeps they dont have to trade so they dont show up in the system.

This exact thing happend to me when I tried to get a Sahara Tan from my normal dealership and the place 30 miles away wouldnt let them have theirs and there was nothing they could do about it.

Often times people are quick to blame a dealership when they dont understand how they work and keep in mind their number 1 goal is to help you find a vehicle so their prob doing whatever they can.

sringer 11-14-2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by cyclone.1983
My guess as to what actually happened is based off what happened to me when I use to sell vehicles. I would locate a vehicle that was available and when I finally got a hold of the dealership they had sold it and it hadnt been updated or the dealership had a "deal" working on that vehicle and refused to trade.

You finding that Jeep online when they couldnt find one to trade for doesnt mean anything. Often times there are vehicles they cant trade for or if a smaller dealership for example has onley a few jeeps they dont have to trade so they dont show up in the system.

This exact thing happend to me when I tried to get a Sahara Tan from my normal dealership and the place 30 miles away wouldnt let them have theirs and there was nothing they could do about it.

Often times people are quick to blame a dealership when they dont understand how they work and keep in mind their number 1 goal is to help you find a vehicle so their prob doing whatever they can.

I understand that. Still sorry to hear that man. I'd be bummed

JK Jeepster 11-15-2011 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by cyclone.1983 (Post 2656597)

I can understand what you are saying here but as a customer, when the Dealership TELLS ME they have a vehicle for me, then go thru the process of taking my trade in, signing my life away on paperwork and taking my MONEY and then later tell me they dont have it....feck them. Its not my problem to understand why they dont have it. The salesman neglected to call the Dealer that had the vehicle THAT DAY that it was a done deal and to get it shipped. Im sure there is some kind of "honor" system between dealerships of some sort. Now you are fecked because the salesman was either lazy or never had that vehicle in the first place. Well, we may or may not have it but we probably do is nuts.

wired 11-15-2011 04:32 AM

I do believe the contract that you signed for the original jeep is null and void if it was sold. Maked the dealership pay dearly for the stupid mistake.

Jersey Joe 11-15-2011 04:48 AM

What a rip-off . . . it makes me angry to read about this sort of thing! . . . :naw:

Giving the OP a runaround like that . . . :mad:

Anyway, it's MOST important to get the exact vehicle you want . . . these things are so expensive, and will last you so many years, that if you don't get what you want, you will be unhappy at ANY price !

Too late to say, maybe . . . but perhaps you should have ORDERED the exact Jeep you wanted. I was tempted to do that, but at the last moment, I stumbled across an available model.

Maybe I was just lucky. Sorry for you, hope things work out alright!

All best,
Joe

nathanmares 11-15-2011 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by JK Jeepster (Post 2656848)
I can understand what you are saying here but as a customer, when the Dealership TELLS ME they have a vehicle for me, then go thru the process of taking my trade in, signing my life away on paperwork and taking my MONEY and then later tell me they dont have it....feck them. Its not my problem to understand why they dont have it. The salesman neglected to call the Dealer that had the vehicle THAT DAY that it was a done deal and to get it shipped. Im sure there is some kind of "honor" system between dealerships of some sort. Now you are fecked because the salesman was either lazy or never had that vehicle in the first place. Well, we may or may not have it but we probably do is nuts.

First rule in buying anything, never give money to someone for something you cannot see. I know this is not a scam they are trying on you but it happens all the time from craigslist and other places.

I am sure you will be able to get your money back, it might be a little hassle but you will not lose anything but time.

Just remember if you can't see it do you really know what you are buying?

jbird416 11-15-2011 06:01 AM

I don't know if you are willing to wait but you should have them order you exactly what you want and rack up the miles on their loaner until it gets in. I know that puts you without your Jeep for at least a month but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing you are getting exactly what you want. Sorry to hear about your headache. This is why I didn't want my local dealer "finding" my JK but I only had to drive 2 hours to get the one I wanted.

teh215 11-15-2011 06:05 AM

It took me 4+ months on Autotrader.com looking for a green, 2dr, hardtop, 6sp until one finally showed up at a local dealer. :thumbsup:

Keep searching.

navin r 11-15-2011 06:25 AM

I'll say it again, just my opinion but never go to stealerships, or only go for a quick look or a quick test drive then leave w/o talking.
As this thread states you can research all available Jeeps yourself online w/o any stealership help.
Do all your negotiating thru email (tread lightly discount is what I went with on my 11').
If the dealership won't negotiate say have a nice day and move on.
It took me a lot of online and email searching to find a stealership that honored the tread lightly discount.
Also of course rarely or never give your trade in to a stealership; sell it yourself.
The stealership I bought from delivered my Jeep to me; I've still never set foot on a stealership lot, though I just got some sort of recall notice so now I'll have to.
Just my 2 cents.

GearWhore 11-15-2011 06:42 AM

I drove down to SLC and spent prob half a day driving around to the different dealerships looking for the Jeep I wanted in one of the 2 colors I would've bought. I finally found one at the 4th dealership, though I wish I wouldn't have. They dicked me around on price for 4 hours! After that any warranty issues were a total fight. I started going to the closest dealership last year and now I really wish I had just gone to them in the beginning and had them find the one I wanted. Much better people to deal with and closer to boot.

Sorry about your crap deal. I'd make them get you what you want though, and drive their loaner until it shows.

trippnk 11-15-2011 12:56 PM

Well to update,

I found one with all the right options 200mi away but it's a rubi! I decided to take y'alls advice and get what I want. My last wrangler was a 03 rubi so a sport would be a step down lol!

So back to the dealership I went! This time I spoke directly with a sales manager, told him I would only pay $32949 for it which is the USAA guaranteed price and put $10500 down. I was there for 15min max, he told me he would call the other dealer and work his mojo. So..... Waiting for the call

Jersey Joe 11-19-2011 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by trippnk (Post 2658063)
Well to update,

I found one with all the right options 200mi away but it's a rubi! I decided to take y'alls advice and get what I want. My last wrangler was a 03 rubi so a sport would be a step down lol!

So back to the dealership I went! This time I spoke directly with a sales manager, told him I would only pay $32949 for it which is the USAA guaranteed price and put $10500 down. I was there for 15min max, he told me he would call the other dealer and work his mojo. So..... Waiting for the call

Well . . . don't keep us in suspense! :D

What happened?

All best, and good luck,
Joe

Rednroll 11-19-2011 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by trippnk (Post 2658063)
Well to update,

You put $10.5K down and traded in your vehicle on a Jeep you could not drive off the lot?? :thinking:

trippnk 11-19-2011 06:01 AM

Yay me, I'm waiting for the phone to ring. The dealer called me Wed and said the Rubi 200mi away had been sold but they found one with more options in AL and wanted to know if I was interested. They emailed me the window sticker, I said heck ya but wasn't paying a cent for the extra options. Last night my sales man called and said they jeep would be there super late and they will call me today when its all cleaned up and ready for pickup. I'm not sure what they are expecting me to pay for this new jeep but I gave them an exact figure on the last one and said I would pay no more. So with my fingers crossed I'll have a new 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in Natural Green in my driveway by the end of the day.

Oh, they are putting my tires on and fixing my speedo along with buying back my stockers but I have to wait till Monday for that because the service department is all backed up. I might put one on just to see what it will look like though.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-mythical-jeep

Forgot to mention that my TF leveling kit is in the mail and will be going on next weekend!!!!!

EarlyJk 11-19-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by trippnk
Yay me, I'm waiting for the phone to ring. The dealer called me Wed and said the Rubi 200mi away had been sold but they found one with more options in AL and wanted to know if I was interested. They emailed me the window sticker, I said heck ya but wasn't paying a cent for the extra options. Last night my sales man called and said they jeep would be there super late and they will call me today when its all cleaned up and ready for pickup. I'm not sure what they are expecting me to pay for this new jeep but I gave them an exact figure on the last one and said I would pay no more. So with my fingers crossed I'll have a new 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in Natural Green in my driveway by the end of the day.

Oh, they are putting my tires on and fixing my speedo along with buying back my stockers but I have to wait till Monday for that because the service department is all backed up. I might put one on just to see what it will look like though.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-mythical-jeep

Forgot to mention that my TF leveling kit is in the mail and will be going on next weekend!!!!!

Also the problem with buying a Jeep(or any vehicle for that matter) that is X miles away is how that get it to you. They send a monkey up there to drive it from point A to point B(your dealership). An I dont think itll be a person worried about the break-in period on your new rig. Good luck with that

trippnk 11-19-2011 06:58 AM

That brings a question to mind. Anyone know if my 36k mile warranty will start at 0 or what the odometer reads when I pick kit up?

EarlyJk 11-19-2011 07:03 AM

That brings a question to mind. Anyone know if my 36k mile warranty will start at 0 or what the odometer reads when I pick kit up?

Zero. An the 36mon starts at the date it was put into service on.

trippnk 11-19-2011 07:28 AM

Well that is crap!!!

EarlyJk 11-19-2011 07:52 AM

Well that is crap!!!

Yup. Thats why id think about purchasing a 30k vehicle sight unseen from a dealership that is gonna send their least needed employee to pick up your new rig an basically joy ride the fuck outta it 100 or so miles back to the place you are buyin it from. Its almost better to take the ride up yourself an deal with that dealership for buying.

HumblePie 11-19-2011 08:07 AM

Also, make sure you do not pay for a delivery or destination charge other than the factory $800. I argued with a dealer for 20 minutes about this. They found the vehicle I wanted but it was in IL. That translated to a $2200 delivery fee. I let them know if they wanted me to buy from them they had two options eat the delivery cost or let me order the vehicle through Chrysler. After the 20 min of discussion with their sales manager and various staff, I made it clear I was not going to pay that on top of the $800 factory delivery and ended up ordering my vehicle. Sure I have to wait but I am not paying another $2200.

As I mentioned earlier, I have bought a lot of cars. There are plenty of ways that a dealer can work a sale to their advantage. Know the total price (Tax + delivery, etc.) and what the monthly cost will be through your bank/credit union. Those are your tools to stand by. If the dealer can beat your monthly price, great. Never go over. Never. Walk away if the deal isn't meeting those/your terms. Remember It's likely that you will be paying this off for years and you want to be happy with your purchase. Two other opinions...Never get into a discussion about what you are "willing to pay" each month and never play the "+" or "four square" negotion game...In the end you will lose...

Good general reading...a little outdated and long but good reading nonetheless...
Confessions of a car salesman

Fenrir 11-19-2011 08:21 AM

You are nuts to give them your car without already having the car they promised.

My dealer had to get a vehicle from 3 hours away and they didn't even ask for my old car until the other car was on the lot.

Why put yourself in that situation?

trippnk 11-19-2011 10:18 AM

The loaner they gave me till my Jeep arrives is a 2011 grand Cherokee so I'm not to upset about them having my old grand. Lol

Chasin Tail 11-19-2011 10:47 AM

are you putting $10k plus your Trade in for the down payment?

I hope it all works out. keep us posted

trippnk 11-19-2011 10:59 AM

Yup only financing like $20k

Chadc880 11-19-2011 11:15 AM

Count me in I am interested as well on the outcome on this

Unforgivable 11-19-2011 12:18 PM

I bought mine. Dealer said it never had any work done to it ever. Clean carfax. And a month after buying it, the clutch goes at 56,000! I look under the jeep, which was my fault for not doing at the dealer, and some cheap as weld job highly pointing to the tranny being taken out more than once. Get my cousin to drop the tranny and open her up to find some 10 dollar cheap ass aftermarket clutch. He threw a stock clutch in for me thank god. But really? Lol everyone wants your money and nobody gives a rats ass about reputation anymore. It was Jeep Chrysler and Dodge in Springfield PA. After the fix though, nothing else was found to be "bad". Overall I still love my jeep :)

m998dna 11-19-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by trippnk (Post 2668217)
The loaner they gave me till my Jeep arrives is a 2011 grand Cherokee so I'm not to upset about them having my old grand. Lol

Yeah, don't sweat it if they gave you a newer loaner... they processed your trade, so you really don't have a choice in the matter. Just work with them and make sure you get what you want. Also, I would tell them to fly you in to the nearest dealer and pick up your new Jeep so you can drive it home.

There's plenty of inventory out there, use all your options.

Rednroll 11-19-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by trippnk (Post 2668217)

http://carbuyinghowto.com/dirty-car-dealer-tricks/

See if this sounds familiar to you, quoted from link above.

Trick #9

9. That Car is in Stock: This car dealer trick also involves the customer calling several dealers trying to find a car that has the options and color that they are looking to purchase. They talk to someone that tells them that they do have the car in stock. So the car buyer goes to the dealership and asks for the person they talked to on the phone, but is told that they went to lunch or left for the day. (the trick is that they gave a name that the car dealer staff knows is fictitious because they lied about the car being in stock) The car salesman that greeted them takes over and tells them that that car was just sold but they have several others that are very close. Like the price quote given above a certain percentage of these car buyers will buy a car rather than run around and being lied to by and tricked by car dealers (and the car salesmen
and car dealer know that).
I wouldn't feel too confident about having the loaner. There's other tricks...I forget their actual gimmick name.....but it's a fall through financing scam and sounds very similar to the situation you're currently in. Basically, it works like this, where they let you take the car you wish to buy before the financing is actually approved, and they've accepted your car trade in, and your down payment. Later it's revealed that your financing fell through, the dealer then is able to get the new car that they let you "borrow" since you don't legally own it and then since you signed the keys of your old car over to them, along with the down payment, they technically currently own it....so you lost your old car and your down payment and have nothing to show for it.

I hope everything works out for you, but you're currently really on a slippery slope. You don't own that new GC...and that dealer currently owns your old GC. It's really sounding like you may be going through multiple scams. I won't be convinced otherwise until you have a new JK in your name, that you're happy with and you didn't have to jump through hoops and pay extra from your original agreement.:naw:

Right now that dealership has the upper hand. They own your old car. You don't own that rental and the only way you can walk away from any deal that's layed on the table is if you walk away from your trade in.....which means you basically gave them your old car. Right now you're smiling about driving around the new GC....but you should probably be crying because you don't own it, have no legal right to it, and you no longer own your older GC.

Rednroll 11-19-2011 04:56 PM

Also check out this video.....

http://www.videojug.com/interview/car-buying-scams

Goto Section 10 "What is the Deposit scam"? and then continue to section 11 "We can't find your keys scam".

Everything you've been describing so far with your new car buying experience seems to be falling into some kind of common car sales scam.

offcamber 11-19-2011 05:23 PM

Same thing sort of happened to me. I went in originally and the only 2012's the dealer had were fully loaded (this was back in August) - painted top, nav, leather, etc. I didn't really want all those options, but I decided to work a deal on a black rubicon unlimited. They couldnt get the final price where I wanted it (with a Chrysler F&F discount). I told them I'd wait until they had something a little more closer to what I was looking for. The finance chick asked what I wanted and I told her, 4.10 gears, auto, hard top, tow package and uConnect. She came back 10 minutes later and said they had one at their other dealership with the options I wanted minus the tow package but they would install it free. I was in a rush to shoot a wedding so I told them I'd come back later. She said if I wanted to do the paper work now they could have it done in 5 minutes and then they would go get the other Jeep that day and Monday install the tow package and I could pick it up at noon. Fast forward to Monday and they called me and said that they went to get it at the dealership and it wasn't there. It was still at the railyard and would be there in a week or so. I was still in my Commander but I'd already signed it over to them after estimating how many miles I needed to drive in the next couple of days. I told them I really didn't want to wait a week. To add some pressure I told them I needed to drive to St. Louis (from Dallas) later that week. I figured that would spook them and it did. They told me they would have to get me a loaner and call me back. They called me back and said they had a Grand Cherokee I could drive as long as i didn't drive it out of state. I told them I was going to st. Louis if they hadn't been paying attention. I told them the best solution was to come down on the original JK I had looked at. We went back and forth and they finally agreed and gave it to me for about the price of the less optioned one (sticker was $41,070 and I got it for just under $36900

Originally Posted by JK Jeepster (Post 2656848)

Rednroll 11-19-2011 05:49 PM

Another thing to keep in mind of how car sales work in regards to dealerships. There is what is called a "Dealer Regional Office". The Dealer regional office's duty is to figure out which features and options are most desirable in that region for ALL the dealerships in that region. They are the ones who actually order the vehicles from the factory with particular options on them, and then they distribute the vehicles to the various dealerships in their "region". They dictate the number of vehicles which are on the individual dealer lots. The dealer regional office therefore has the master list of every dealership's current inventory. The dealership does not order vehicles with particular options on them directly from the factory....the dealership contacts the dealer regional office and can request to have a vehicle with specific options to be ordered....which then gets order from the regional office to the factory.

Along with distributing new ordered vehicles for dealer lot inventory, the regional office also redistributes inventory. So they'll regularly look at how long a particular vehicle has been on the lot of each dealership and if a particular vehicle has been there for a long time, they'll look for a dealership which has been selling that vehicle with that color and options and redistribute that particular vehicle to that dealer lot and then replace the inventory on the original dealer's lot.

So when a dealership says they have a vehicle at another one of their dealerships that matches the one you want....that may be true ....because their 1st priority is to clear their combined inventory for the dealerships they own....but they also have the power to contact the dealer regional office and request to have inventory pulled from another dealership because the dealership does not own that inventory of vehicles....the dealer regional office does. It shouldn't cost money to make this happen, because the dealer regional office is always having vehicles delivered to the individual dealerships and having inventory redistributed between the dealerships, which means as they're delivering new inventory vehicles they can also pick up, where it then gets taken back to the regional office and then the regional office then delivers it on the next delivery to the dealership you're at. The regional office controls the inventory on each dealership's lot, thus they can redistribute inventory however they chose when they learn that a particular vehicle with certain features is being requested.

So the dealership you're dealing with has probably never even mentioned to you, contacting the dealer regional office to seek out the vehicle you're looking for. So make sure you ask them if they had. Heck, even ask them for a contact person at the regional office so you can call the regional office directly and they can tell you with 100% certainty if the vehicle you're looking for is available in the entire region.

deathboyardee 11-19-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by trippnk (Post 2667926)

It will start on the date of purchase and whatever mileage is currently on the Jeep when delivered. So if it is has 500 miles on it when it is delivered to you, your warranty will actually be in effect until 36,500 miles.

Southern Girl 11-19-2011 08:58 PM

Any updates???:thinking:

EarlyJk 11-20-2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by deathboyardee

It will start on the date of purchase and whatever mileage is currently on the Jeep when delivered. So if it is has 500 miles on it when it is delivered to you, your warranty will actually be in effect until 36,500 miles.

Thats wrong. Its good for 36months from the in service date and 36k period. Unless you get something else in writing.

HumblePie 11-20-2011 06:26 AM

EarlyJk is correct. However, there may be a small addendum...

Originally Posted by EarlyJk (Post 2669854)
Its good for 36months from the in service date OR 36k period. Unless you get something else in writing.

Also, I believe it will be whichever comes first. If you drive 36,001 mi in 2 years, you are out of warranty. Conversely, if you drive 10k mi in 36+ mo, you are out of warranty.

Rednroll 11-20-2011 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by EarlyJk (Post 2669854)
Thats wrong. Its good for 36months from the in service date and 36k period. Unless you get something else in writing.

I'm not so sure if that is wrong or not. I know from my experience from when I was originally shopping for a JK that I had 2 different sales people from 2 different dealers tell me the 3yr/36K started at the point the vehicle is delivered to the person purchasing it and the original mileage is put on the final contract paper work just for this purpose. I know I specifically asked this question to one of the sales people because I was test driving a "demo" vehicle which had 1600 miles on it and wanted to make sure my warranty started at 36K+1600 and the vehicle was still considered "new" since I would be the 1st owner although it already had 1600 miles on it. They assured me that the warranty would be good up to the 38.2K mileage and the 36 months was good from the day I took ownership.

Now this is all verbal communication from 2 different sales people and the JK I ended up purchasing had 0 miles on it, so I didn't have to worry about it and therefore didn't do any further reading to make sure that was the case and it's not like I trust sales people because they'll tell you most anything to make a sale. It actually may be written on the final contract warranty write up as was pointed out to me. The warranty contract is actually a separate document that gets written up, because the warranty is between yourself and Chrysler and not yourself and the dealer like the sales agreement.

So your statement could be just as wrong, unless you can show us something in writing stating something else.:wink:

ronjenx 11-20-2011 06:50 AM

Regarding the first post, and how dealerships work...

When I was looking into buying a 2008 JK, (late 2007), I went in with a build sheet from the "Build My Own" Jeep web site.
They didn't have exactly what I wanted, and couldn't locate one. So, I left, and kind of put it on the back burner.
A couple months later, they called and said they had something I might be interested in.
Things were slow at work that day, so playing a little "hooky" sounded appealing.
Anyway, what was sitting out front was the exact 2008 JK I had built on the web site. The window sticker even said "This vehicle built especially for [my name here]." I hadn't ordered it, and was under no obligation to buy. But, they put the effort into getting what I wanted, not knowing whether I was serious or not. They would have sold it otherwise, but it was good of them to do it that way.
I have had it in for warranty work once, for the porous timing chain cover. The service department did a great job on that.