Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why no V8 in a Wrangler? (answer from media)

Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was looking at shiny new crate engines in a JEGS catalog I got in the mail and I saw the GMC LS7...the ad says 28+ mpg...does anyone know what kind of mpg the same motor gets when the application is a JK? I'm pretty sure someone around here has done it...
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
I was looking at shiny new crate engines in a JEGS catalog I got in the mail and I saw the GMC LS7...the ad says 28+ mpg...does anyone know what kind of mpg the same motor gets when the application is a JK? I'm pretty sure someone around here has done it...
That's probably in a 3100 pound Corvette with 500% better aerodynamics than a JK. I'd say under 20 in any jk application.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This topic seems to rear it's head on this board from time to time. For me the 3.6 Pentastar is fine. BUT I would love for Jeep to put some decent lights on their trucks. My JK's lights absolutely are abysmal. Both headlights as well as fogs suck. I would pay extra for that.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3.6 and it seems to have enough power for the jk to perform well. However if it had a diesel then it would be complete. forget the hemi.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
I wouldn't call 285 bhp a "chipmunk engine"...
True enough. I'd like the 3.6 fine in some vehicles, maybe a ragtop or sport coupe. The JK totally begs for low-end grunt. A diesel would really be best, but the gas V8 is probably an easier conversion.

The factory could make it easy and just offer some options. On the other hand, the JK is enough fun that putting up with the V6 engines is OK I guess.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mariner
I have the 3.6 and it seems to have enough power for the jk to perform well. However if it had a diesel then it would be complete. forget the hemi.
Remember that the diesel gets its power thanks to a turbocharger.
It's a question of personal preferences - I want the engine to react when I step on it, and not wait for the turbocharger to kick in.
With the diesel, what you gain in torque you loose in bhp, and end up with less acceleration - not my cup of tee for DD.
I would not change the Pentastar for either the Hemi or the diesel.
The difference in mpg is not that big.

The trend in the industry is towards smaller, stronger and more efficient engines, and I think that this trend is good.

For the future, I'd like to see the Pentastar evolve to 300~315 bhp, a bit better mpg, and 6-speed auto. I believe that more power than that is completely unnecessary for a 4-door Jeep, not to mention the lighter 2-door.

Last edited by GJeep; 12-09-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik

Add 500 lbs of aftermarket bumpers, winch, armor, etc and some 37-40" tires and you'll sing a different tune.
I get that. I cruise the forums on my iPhone which gives a pretty stripped down version(no sig)of the threads. I clicked through and now see the the OP is modded and more power would be beneficial.

Interesting, the aftermarket throws a ton of support at the JK, but they don't do crap for power mods. Other than ripp headers and blowers where there ANY other real mods out there? I think the main reason for that was Chrysler was running 7 V-6's five years ago. We're down to one now. The aftermarket will hopefully start throwing some R and D at it. But looking over at GM and Ford, is there any support for their V-6's? They, like chrysler have great V8's, which get plenty of support.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

" the relatively light Wrangler"

Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
Interesting, the aftermarket throws a ton of support at the JK, but they don't do crap for power mods. Other than ripp headers and blowers where there ANY other real mods out there? I think the main reason for that was Chrysler was running 7 V-6's five years ago. We're down to one now. The aftermarket will hopefully start throwing some R and D at it. But looking over at GM and Ford, is there any support for their V-6's? They, like chrysler have great V8's, which get plenty of support.
285 HP is already pretty respectable from only 3.6 liters.

I have to wonder how much room there is for improving power and still have it be reliable.

Am looking forward to seeing what people do with it.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee

285 HP is already pretty respectable from only 3.6 liters.

I have to wonder how much room there is for improving power and still have it be reliable.

Am looking forward to seeing what people do with it.
There are a few cars that are at 100hp/liter and still reliable. But it comes at very high rpm and slim torque figured. That's the last thing we want in jeeps.

Quick Reply: Why no V8 in a Wrangler? (answer from media)