Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Will TPMS Throw a Code

Old 11-03-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will TPMS Throw a Code

All

I'm picking up a set of Rubi takeoffs on Saturday with the TPMS's included . Will they throw a code or will they sync up automatically? Little background they are off a 2011 and I have a 2011 with TPMS's so I'm literally taking off my SRA's and rims and putting these on (no mounting as I'm getting them as a set). I've read that certain years had different TPMS's but these are the same year.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

U should have no prob. After about 20 miles of driving, the jeep will pick up the signal of the new tpms's.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info! Anyone else?
Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

I've ran without the TPMS for over a year now and it just gives the warning light on the dash, but no computer codes. I don't know if your computer will automatically pick up the new TPMS. If that's the case, why wouldn't it pick up the TPMS of every JK you pass on the road? I believe you have to get the computer flashed to read the new ones, but I'm not certain.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

No reprogramming is necessary when new sensors are put on.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DrtyJeepr
I've ran without the TPMS for over a year now and it just gives the warning light on the dash, but no computer codes. I don't know if your computer will automatically pick up the new TPMS. If that's the case, why wouldn't it pick up the TPMS of every JK you pass on the road? I believe you have to get the computer flashed to read the new ones, but I'm not certain.
I'm not worried about a computer code I worried about the TPMS low light coming on. From what I've read it will automatically pick up the new ones but want to make sure. It would annoy the crap out of me if the light kept coming on and I have no way to reflash the computer besides going to the stealership which I am trying to avoid.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If you have problems with the system recognizing the new sensors, most tire shops have the tool to force the issue.
It may cost about $20 to have them do it.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like I will be ok. Maybe I will have to recycle the engine a couple of times but it should be fine. if not I will take the tire shop route.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

Just an FYI for everyone I put them on and no TPMS light! Worked out perfect.

Quick Reply: Will TPMS Throw a Code