Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Winch (not the one serving the beer)

Old 09-21-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch (not the one serving the beer)

So what winch do you run? Should I fork out the big buck for the Warn? I really like the Warn front bumper (by the way). Your opinions matter, please give your thoughts.

I get some snow now and then, and I do pull people out of the ditch for free ( it costs $40 to hook up the line ). It's the only good thing about winter that I can think of.

BTW, a chick ran into my bumper on Saturday, so Shelter Insurance will be paying a portion for my aftermarket unit. They are paying for the bumper and a rim...
Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a Superwinch EPi 9.5 on my 08 and never ran into any issues. Pulled great. I used it to pull my Jeep and others out of mud and sand. Now have a Recon on my 12 and it works just as well for half the price. For about $400 you get a 10,500 lb pull power, waterproof winch with synthetic line. Can't beat it. No issues so far, seems to work just as well as the Superwinch. I couldn't justify the cost of a Warn.

Originally Posted by Rayster
So what winch do you run? Should I fork out the big buck for the Warn? I really like the Warn front bumper (by the way). Your opinions matter, please give your thoughts.

I get some snow now and then, and I do pull people out of the ditch for free ( it costs $40 to hook up the line ). It's the only good thing about winter that I can think of.

BTW, a chick ran into my bumper on Saturday, so Shelter Insurance will be paying a portion for my aftermarket unit. They are paying for the bumper and a rim...
Old 09-21-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is 10,000lb winch really needed or 8,000lb good enough?

Debating on the XRC-8, XRC-10 or even the XRC-8 Comp Series
Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I have a cheapie $400 job and a Warn 9000i.

They both work but, the Warn is much quieter, and much faster. Nothing like winching over an obstacle and having to wait for the cable to catch up with you.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:52 AM
JK Newbie

I just picked up an old Warn 8274 from Craigslist, at a fraction of the cost new. What I like about Warn is you can get parts and rebuild if needed. I am not so sure if parts are easily obtainable for the Chinese ones.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rayster

Here read this article, it will answer pretty much every question you have and more .........

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=364
Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am fortunate enough to be able to pay the extra for the Warn, and I have a 9.5cti. I would have to say, though, that at 1/3 the price, I would be really tempted to try one of the off-brand units. My rationale was that the winch is what gets you OUT, so I wanted the odds in my favor that it will work when called upon.

Last edited by WCDAVE; 09-22-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Craigslist is a good option. I bought my 9000i for $400 and it was as new - not used.

Last edited by SiliconTi; 09-22-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Winch (not the one serving the beer)