Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Winch question..?

Old 11-09-2013, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch question..?

Just installed the poison Spyder brawler lite bumper on my 08 4 door jk.. I was looking at the Desert rat brand winches.. What's the big difference between regular or synthetic? I don't off-road very much (two small children give me no jeep time) it's hardly gonna get used, but I want it to work well when i do need it, also, I'm in Phoenix where it's really hot, will the sun destroy the synthetic line? Last question, 8,000 or 9,5000.. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Both types of line ultimately do the same thing.

Benefits of cable: cheaper, heartier
Benefits of synthetic line: lighter, safer

Steel cable is heavy and if you're weight conscious, that's a factor. It's also arguably less safe to use due to the fact that if it were to snap while under load, the kinetic energy would remain in the cable itself - a very dangerous situation. Synthetic line on the other hand can snap and drop to the ground as the kinetic energy is no where near the same. Steel cable can withstand the elements whereas synthetic line can fade and degrade over time.

It's your call but I run synthetic on my winch and protect it with a winch cover.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BossHog
Both types of line ultimately do the same thing. Benefits of cable: cheaper, heartier Benefits of synthetic line: lighter, safer Steel cable is heavy and if you're weight conscious, that's a factor. It's also arguably less safe to use due to the fact that if it were to snap while under load, the kinetic energy would remain in the cable itself - a very dangerous situation. Synthetic line on the other hand can snap and drop to the ground as the kinetic energy is no where near the same. Steel cable can withstand the elements whereas synthetic line can fade and degrade over time. It's your call but I run synthetic on my winch and protect it with a winch cover.
What size winch you running? Thanks for the info
Old 11-10-2013, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RufusTheTank
What size winch you running? Thanks for the info
I'm currently running a 10,000 lb with synthetic line. Probably only really needed 8-9,000 lb capacity but no big deal.

Quick Reply: Winch question..?