Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Windshield crack.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield crack.

Well...it finally happened. With all the readings of this phenomena, I figured it would happen to me sooner or later. Hey...It only took a fullyear! I was driving down a typical street about 40mph, and boink, there it was. The sound was a dead give away. The good news is that it is on the passanger side about half way up, and about 2 inches from the edge, running verticle. It is about an inch long overall. Do they not have a glue fix? and would that work on a crack like that? Also, would the ins. co. pay for the quick fix? I'm sure there is someone out there with experience:rotflm ao2::r otflmao2:
Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Depends on how big the crack is, if its relatively small, it can just be filled in. If it's a big crack, most insurances will replace it.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had to replace my windshield on every Jeep I've ever owned. I had to replace my 08 JK windshield the first winter due to a crack caused by the heater, (warrenty by Jeep). This summer I picked up a rock chip in my new windshield. Our 03 TJ also currently has a rock chip too. It's just a fact of life with these flat windshields.
The crack will most likely mean a windshield replacement. If I were paying for it I would wait until I get another crack or large chip in the drivers line of view. You probably have insurance, due to how new the JK's are. I would just turn it in on Insurance. I've never yet had an insurance increase because I turned in a cracked windshield.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm dealing with that now on my other vehicle. Matter of fact all three vehicles have chips or small cracks from stones. On my truck I had the bright idea of washing it when it was 95 degrees out and when the cold hose water hit the windshield it, the chip after a loud snap grew to a full blown crack from top to bottom . I've called around and what I've found is that if the the chip or crack can fit under a dollar bill it can be patched. Not quite sure how they do it but other people say it's almost impossible to see the repair. Some insurer's offer full glass coverage but my truck has a commercial policy that covers up to $500. Check out your policy or call your agent. A patch might not be a bad idea especially if you wheel alot I do know it's a lot less expensive than replacing the windshield.
P.S.
don't put cold water on it if it's hot and if it's cold to put anything hot on it.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Rock Rubicon
I'm dealing with that now on my other vehicle. Matter of fact all three vehicles have chips or small cracks from stones. On my truck I had the bright idea of washing it when it was 95 degrees out and when the cold hose water hit the windshield it, the chip after a loud snap grew to a full blown crack from top to bottom . I've called around and what I've found is that if the the chip or crack can fit under a dollar bill it can be patched. Not quite sure how they do it but other people say it's almost impossible to see the repair. Some insurer's offer full glass coverage but my truck has a commercial policy that covers up to $500. Check out your policy or call your agent. A patch might not be a bad idea especially if you wheel alot I do know it's a lot less expensive than replacing the windshield.
P.S.
don't put cold water on it if it's hot and if it's cold to put anything hot on it.

yeah ....I'm not for replacing it. I know how that can go. I figure it is going to happen again sometime and would rather wait till it is really f*cddup before I get it replaced. I think my crack qualifies for a fix.

Quick Reply: Windshield crack.