Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

windshield frame damage !!!

Old 04-16-2018, 02:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default windshield frame damage !!!

Advise on what to expect and whats needed to be done ! had a storm the damage is along the top frame only and seal it appears saved by the jerry can is there away around not pulling the windshiled out too or is thios thing going to run into bookoo bucks insurance has not been out to assess the damage as of yet but will be soon they say

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-16-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Car-part.com and search for a windshield frame. You should be able to buy the whole piece including a subscriber'windshield. You'll just follow the directions for dropping the windshield (see YouTube-37 mins) and just unbolt it then go from there.

Hopefully that's all that's wrong. What a testament to the strength of your gas can mount!
The following users liked this post:
jeepmojo (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks i added some more pics / i was trying to figure what the insurance company will end up giving me for this by check and if theres a easy way around it like adding a light bar or something to cover it up. or is this something that really has to be ripped into and pulled apart windshield out, wipers removed , all gasketing added then windshield back in , repainted cuz then its in the thousands . even a frame on morris 4x4 is 859 no gaskets and no labor of course. i just dont want to be low balled a price from the insurance guy when he comes out and wants to give me a check for peanuts if hes like that , u know !

i know huh that jerry can stopped all the weight and damage to the body on drivers side

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-16-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Replacement of the windshield frame and gasket would be best, but I'm sure a good body shop could pound that back into shape and repair it. It will be in your best interest to get it replaced or repaired, otherwise you will be dealing with leaks, rust and wind noise. The insurance adjuster will come out, write you up a repair estimate where they will make a judgement call of either replacement or repair in their estimate. In all honesty, they will likely give you an estimate for a repair, since it's their job to reduce the insurance company's out of pocket costs. You don't have to accept the insurance company's estimate. It is up to them to get you back to where you were before the tree fell on your JK. You can then take it to a shop of your choice and have the shop give you an additional non bias estimate. If the insurance adjuster gives you a repair estimate, then it will be up to the shop to come up with a justifiable reason it should be replaced instead rather than repaired. Replacement cost will obviously be more than the repair estimate. In any event you will want it fixed because it will leak, rust, and make noise. Slapping a light bar over the top of it will not stop the further damage from happening.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-17-2018 at 05:06 AM.
jeepmojo (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

It cost me around a grand to do it myself when I replaced mine. The glass was cheap $125 and the frame was the biggest part of the cost. I had the paint already and shop just charged me $100 to paint it. Removal of the windshield takes about 15-20 minutes.
jeepmojo (04-17-2018)

Quick Reply: windshield frame damage !!!