Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

wish I didnt lift my jk

Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue project
So I put a teraflex leveling kit and 31's on my jeep. I really wish I hadn't. Before my sport with 16" rims handled like a sports car. Now it throws me all over the lane and bounces like crazy. Looks like I'm selling it after the summer. (done with 16mpg's) Anyone else feel the same?
Nope. I didn't buy a sports car. I bought a jeep.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This'll hook ya up
Click image for larger version

Name:	ljeep.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	163658
Old 05-23-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

If you want the ride a sports car gives you then you should buy a sports car. My JK is a real dog when it comes to acceleration and I don't take 90 degree turns at 35 mph like I might in a 911. It took me a while to accept the fact that my new JK is a JEEP and not a peppy little hotrod. Get that thing off-road and have a blast in it and when you can afford to get something more fun on the road.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chip80
I hear that this one handles like a sports car. Maybe more the OPs style.
That's so wrong in so many ways.... Fricken awesome!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Unhappy Wow! A lot of ruffled feather in this thread! !

Here's the original post:
"So I put a teraflex leveling kit and 31's on my jeep. I really wish I hadn't. Before my sport with 16" rims handled like a sports car. Now it throws me all over the lane and bounces like crazy. Looks like I'm selling it after the summer. (done with 16mpg's) Anyone else feel the same?

To me it seems that he's just stating that compared to how it's driving now, stock it was handling much better. I know if mine was handling really bad, I'd be feeling pretty (pardon the pun) "blue" about it too! !

Before I bought the JK, I had a TJ out for a test drive from a non-Chrysler dealership. I was on a really bad road, had a wicked cross-wind going, and was meeting 18 wheelers. The thing handled like a piece of junk and I was literally scared that I'd lose control!

The reason I mentioned that it wasn't from a Chrysler dealership is that when someone who has a TJ looked at it, they thought the suspension felt "loose". The dealership didn't deal with Jeeps and didn't really know the difference.

I'm pretty new here, so my opinion doesn't count for much in the technical department, but from what I've read, I'd try going back to the stock tires and see if this gets rid of the handling problem. If it does, it's probably the used tires.

If you decide to keep the jeep and buy new 32" tires but feel the need for a little better handling (provided you're not going to be heavily off-roading), you could check out some aftermarket sway bars and shocks. I put an Addco rear sway bar and Bilstein shocks on my 87' Toyota 4x4 truck and couldn't believe how much better it cornered and handled cross-winds.

Currently, my JK is stock. I'm considering getting a 1.25 Rough Country body lift (this leaves the suspension stock) and putting 33" tires under it on the stock 17" wheels. The extra 3" of stance created by the 1.5" spacers needed to run the stock wheels with the larger tires might even mean a lower than stock center of gravity (1 inch up, but 3 inches wider). I'm just getting the body lift for some added height in snow and to be sure of no rubbing with the 33" tires. Most people can run 33" tires with no rubbing and you definitely don't need any lift to run 32" tires. Mine came stock with 32"s.

From what I've read, a levelling kit can have a detrimental affect on mileage. I might be mistaken, but the nose-down stance is a little more aerodynamic ( if I can use that term when talking about a Wrangler! ).

Come on, people. Cut the guy a little slack. We all have our bad days! Sometimes I call them "weeks" ! ! !

Last edited by A Curious Guy; 06-10-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Late to this party, if you jeep handled better than your wrx, it's definantly the owner/mechanic. You must have screwed up your wrx just as bad as your jeep.

I think there are new ractive parts coming for the new civic. You will be set then.

Step away from the wrenches and let a real mechanic install and pick your parts for you.

Quick Reply: wish I didnt lift my jk