Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wondering if someone could help me out who has a hardtop…

Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering if someone could help me out who has a hardtop…

I have been trying to figure out this water leak coming from the freedom panel to no end.
I have tried taking them out and reinstalling them and still the leak.

Today I took the driver side panel off and pull out the TSB report and was going though it and to me the seal that is on the passenger side panel in the middle is twisted and on there crooked. I did notice that some of that stuff which I think is some kind of thin foam was blocking the channel or rim of the panel so I removed it because it was not supposed to be there neither.

I was wondering if someone who has a hard top that is not leaking could take a picture of that seal.

Even from the inside looking up at the panel you can tell it is not straight. I also notice looking at the TSB report it shows it is suppose to have a cup area at the front seal near the windshield and I don’t see that.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have no pictures for you but I can say that a twisted seal will cause leaks. Had to get the main seal across the back and the TSB performed before mine stopped leaking.

Go to the dealer, TSB in hand, point out the twisted seal between the panels and tell them of the leaking. Should be no problem.

For the record, mine only leaked when the front end was lower than the rear and the leak came from front between the two panels. Main seal across the back was twisted right where the two panels met, water rolled down center seal to drip onto the dash...

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks.. BUT I am on my own. It has been to the dealers four time and the TSB has been done and it still leaks. I think the Mechanics do not know really how to get these seals on right and the dealers dose not have a body shop on site. That is why I am trying to figure it out myself then I can point to them and tell them this is how it is done.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would push back harder with the dealer. Force to fix via another hard top or file a claim.
I've had 4 wranglers from 3 different dealers and they have all been willing to bend over backwards to make sure that everything is working correctly.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Dog
Thanks.. BUT I am on my own. It has been to the dealers four time and the TSB has been done and it still leaks. I think the Mechanics do not know really how to get these seals on right and the dealers dose not have a body shop on site. That is why I am trying to figure it out myself then I can point to them and tell them this is how it is done.
Sounds like you're knocking on lemon laws. Might try looking up if there is one in your state and next time you go to the dealer, start talking about it with them - that might get their attention a little better.

If they can't fix it, then it's a lemon - it's that simple. It's their responsibility to fix it, not yours.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Are there any other Jeep dealers in the area? I would try another place. If the seal is crooked still, they may have "performed" the TSB but it doesn't sound like they did so correctly.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I ended it up printing out a picture from the Jeep JK Wrangler & Unlimited
Freedom Top Removal write up on this site because he had one picture that showed the seal not very clear but good enough to prove my point. I went to the dealers with the TSB report along with the picture and got the service manager to come out side and look at what I had. There was a 2007 Sahara in today for a oil change so we took off that panel off and compare it to mine and sure enough my point was proven. My seal was rolling where is was not suppose to be rolling and it was crooked. We even found out pieces of seal was missing . While we was ordering the part I took my camera phone and took pictures of the Sahara seals so I can have those now. Sometimes I guess you have do your own research to help them find the problem or it will never get fixed!

Quick Reply: Wondering if someone could help me out who has a hardtop…