Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Wrangler: Pavement Only Thoughts
Any Reason is a Good Reason; We're Family
91.84%
Waste of a Good Jeep; Posers
8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Wrangler: Basic Transport or Off-Road Fun

Old 05-13-2010, 12:57 AM
dxu
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrangler: Basic Transport or Off-Road Fun

I've noticed some posts that poke fun at those JK (or any other model year) owners who keep their Wrangler on the pavement or at most, some very light off-roading. For sake of argument we will say dirt trails and the front yard. Now being on this board long enough, I realize there is a lot of tongue-in-cheek banter when it comes to mall crawlers and soccer moms and the like driving the JK around. But it got me thinking . . .

What are your real opinions of JKs purchased for reasons (convertible, looks, etc) other than off-roading?

IMHO, no matter what reason your purchase a JK is a good one for the most part. Few if any purchase for MPG, ride quality, or driving dynamics. People who drive in a lot of snow buy Subarus. People who want to haul gear buy F-150s or Minivans. If you want a commuter car, you buy a Civic. But if you want a vehicle that looks cool, has a convertible top, removable doors, and can handle inclement weather. Well, those people buy a JK, even if they have no interest in off-roading. And I think they have a good head on their shoulders.

Except the ones who "bling" their Jeeps. Just awful *smacks nose with rolled up paper*

DU
The following users liked this post:
Jamaar Mulholland (08-09-2020)
Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Don't worry about what other people think. It's your jeep do what you want with it. I bet 90% of the people on this forum us there JK for daily street beaters.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 AM
dxu
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
Don't worry about what other people think. It's your jeep do what you want with it. I bet 90% of the people on this forum us there JK for daily street beaters.
I am not personally worried about it, just interested. People are passionate about certain things and how they're used and abused.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dxu
I am not personally worried about it, just interested. People are passionate about certain things and how they're used and abused.
I have had my JK for 8 months and the only time it's been offroad is when I went hunting last year. I have worked out of town so much I haven't had a chance to take it any place. But I am going to start going about 1 or 2 times a week. My little girl loves doing things like that and so do I. What I'm trying to say is mine is more of a street queen.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:07 AM
dxu
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
I have had my JK for 8 months and the only time it's been offroad is when I went hunting last year. I have worked out of town so much I haven't had a chance to take it any place. But I am going to start going about 1 or 2 times a week. My little girl loves doing things like that and so do I. What I'm trying to say is mine is more of a street queen.
Thats's awesome. I have mine ordered. 2dr White with Auto and AC. Half-doors and soft-top and black appearance package. My only plans for it are some interior stuff like floor mats, grab handles, and cruise control. Going to grab some mirror relocation brackets, hood latches, light guards, upgraded headlights, and do a TF leveling kit. Plan on black wheels, maybe Black Rock or Cragar, and no bigger than 32 in MT. Mine will be used 95% on pavement and the rest of the time exploring some backwoods and easy mud.

Its all about making it your own. That is what I love about Jeepers. Whether it be a jeep wave or commenting on your ride, it seems like one hell of a family.

Oh and almost forgot, mine will be unique with Jurassic Park stickers where the factory decals are. Going to call it "Dorkosaraus".
Old 05-13-2010, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beter to own a Jeep then to not own a Jeep

I went 2wd this time and it is doing what I need it to do.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

YOUR money. Do with it what YOU want.
I make jokes about the ones with stick-on crap all over them, like that one E-bay "dream machine".
I wheel mine sensibly as it's also my daily driver.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

a co-worker has had her TJ for 13 years, and not only never had it offroad, she's never had the doors off!
First thing i showed her when she started working here was how to remove the doors.
So, one warm day we trooped out to the parking lot, took the soft uppers off and stowed them in behind the back seat, then pulled the doors and stuffed them in the back seat.

Of course, a couple hours later, as I was leaving, it was starting to rain.
So I called my boss and asked if we should tell her, or let her find out what it is like to be a "true jeeper".
he said we should tell her.

Being the gentleman I am, I started putting the doors back on her Jeep while I waited for her to come outside.
When she arrived, she said the funniest thing I never expected to hear.

"How did you get access to the Jeep?"

I laughed for 15 minutes.

They can do whatever they want with their Jeep. Won't stop me from politely suggesting they be a little adventurous.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dxu
I've noticed some posts that poke fun at those JK (or any other model year) owners who keep their Wrangler on the pavement or at most, some very light off-roading. For sake of argument we will say dirt trails and the front yard. Now being on this board long enough, I realize there is a lot of tongue-in-cheek banter when it comes to mall crawlers and soccer moms and the like driving the JK around. But it got me thinking . . .

What are your real opinions of JKs purchased for reasons (convertible, looks, etc) other than off-roading?

IMHO, no matter what reason your purchase a JK is a good one for the most part. Few if any purchase for MPG, ride quality, or driving dynamics. People who drive in a lot of snow buy Subarus. People who want to haul gear buy F-150s or Minivans. If you want a commuter car, you buy a Civic. But if you want a vehicle that looks cool, has a convertible top, removable doors, and can handle inclement weather. Well, those people buy a JK, even if they have no interest in off-roading. And I think they have a good head on their shoulders.

Except the ones who "bling" their Jeeps. Just awful *smacks nose with rolled up paper*

DU
I have seen a lot of Subarus floating on their bellies on the snow, wheels just spinning.
It can happen to a JK, too, but it's a lot less likely.

I bought the JK so I could get out to work, and get back in, without having to plow the driveway first.
Typically there is a 3 to 4 foot snow berm at the end of the driveway from the town plow.
It also is handy to get me to places to hike, kayak, canoe, camp, etc.

Most of the time, it is daily driving conditions for the JK. Nothing wrong with that. It's a great daily driver.

Last edited by ronjenx; 05-13-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been offroad in mine a couple of times to take a few "detours" around some heavy traffic....

There might be other convertibles out there but none of them can you remove the doors and enjoy life. I think there's something to be said about being on the road, top down, and stuck in a downpour. Hopefully it's a nice 80 degrees out and not <70s. But then, Jeeps have awesome heaters!

I've been stuck in my YJ a few times in a good downpour having to look out the side of the jeep to see in front... the wipers don't really do a good job cleaning the backside of the windshield...

Quick Reply: Wrangler: Basic Transport or Off-Road Fun