JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Wrangler Stays other Jeep models axed in Fiat restructuring of Chrysler (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/wrangler-stays-other-jeep-models-axed-fiat-restructuring-chrysler-106631/)

EyeDoc 10-27-2009 01:30 PM

Wrangler Stays other Jeep models axed in Fiat restructuring of Chrysler

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6599...ead/index.html

Read that article today... looks like some big changes for Chrysler as a whole with a lot of models getting the boot... Of course no changes for their meal ticket right now which is the Wrangler.... Maybe this means they'll have more time to focus on a hemi wrangler.... ah who am I kidding:naw:

BigJeschke 10-27-2009 01:40 PM

Have to wonder what that would do to price and availability. Also wonder if the jeep brand could survive with one or two models only. May be buying a Dodge Wrangler in the future eh?

rob7765 10-27-2009 03:01 PM

The plan sounds good to me. Kill off all of the crappy products.

2vpblaze 10-27-2009 03:30 PM

wow, i dont know if thats going to work out for them. its good that jeep is getting rid of that stuff. But dont get rid of it completely, those are good vehicles, redisgn or rename them with dodge or chrysler. they are cutting some convinent vehicles, and they are going to lose alot of market. then again, if this all goes through, it should be an interesting 5 years and maybe we will see some slick vehicles coming out!

Blackbeard 10-27-2009 03:52 PM

YAY WRANGLER!!! Keep 'em comin'! https://img132.imageshack.us/img132/...miley236hw.gif

Here's Fiat's 500:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...ticleLarge.jpg

Here's their 500 I used to drive in Sicily in '74-'76!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...t_20071020.jpg

Wonder how either one would look with 33's and a Lift? Hmmmm! http://www.maxi-scoots.com/postnuke/...iratelaugh.gif

Cheers!

BB

Mariner 10-27-2009 04:01 PM

bring on the wrangler panda ! (hemi powered of course)

spinlock 10-27-2009 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2vpblaze (Post 1402850)
wow, i dont know if thats going to work out for them. its good that jeep is getting rid of that stuff. But dont get rid of it completely, those are good vehicles, redisgn or rename them with dodge or chrysler. they are cutting some convinent vehicles, and they are going to lose alot of market. then again, if this all goes through, it should be an interesting 5 years and maybe we will see some slick vehicles coming out!

I had a similar initial reaction this morning when I read the article in the Wall Street Journal, but this could all be a good thing.

Fiat turned itself from failing car company to an automotive conglomerate that rivals GM in its hey day. It owns companies that were on financial skid row like Lancia, Alpha Romeo, Maseratti, Ferrari and Iveco. It managed to weed out the poor performers and rebuild a compacted version of each brand. In addition it has started up global operations in places like Spain, Poland and Brazil amongst others.

It certainly knows how to restructure auto manufacturers, albeit it has never done so with one the size of Chrysler. It's compact vehicle technology could be very useful in rebuilding Chrysler as a whole. Fiat has a good product development process, which is sorely needed by Chrysler (and GM for that matter). They have also been able to transfer manufacturing processes and technology between their holdings. This *could* lead to improved quality control on JKs and the option of either a 400 ft-lb diesel truck engine or a 700 HP V12 engine. Try calling that a Mall Crawler! :ya::ya::ya:

Kastiron 10-27-2009 06:03 PM

Dodge loses Grand Caravan? So, no more minivans?

Isn't that a big share right now? Maybe sticking with the Chrysler T&C but didn't mention?

My wife will be ticked off about no minivans, but I don't care. Maybe the end of the 3.8L V6.. :wink:

Cedo Nulli 10-27-2009 07:30 PM

Hopefully that's a good thing...I didn't see any mention of having the Fiat Panda brought over to the US under the Jeep label, maybe they reconsidered that and canned it also.

I think Jeep will survive with the Wrangler and Cherokee lines alone. Seems from the article, they are restructuring to each brands specialties, opposed to having full lines under each name.

Grimscale 10-28-2009 04:09 AM

shouldn't we be grieving over the loss of the Compass?

After all, where are we going to get our doner hemi's for our Wranglers!
:rotflmao2:

OoPEZoO 10-28-2009 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Grimscale (Post 1403468)
shouldn't we be grieving over the loss of the Compass?

:rotflmao2: You forgot the brackets [sarsasm] [/sarcasm]

I drove a base model Compass as a rental car while I was out in San Diego last month. I seriously think it was the worst POS I have ever driven. It was flat out scary as hell on the highway. No power, crappy transmission, and rode like poop

rpiotr01 10-28-2009 05:59 AM

Killing the Commander, Compass and Patriot is just common sense. The Patriot was a good idea but got killed in execution and now the name is damaged beyond repair. Most people looking for a small SUV would do better with a CRV, RAV4 or Forrester.

I like the line-up of Grand Cherokee, Liberty, Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited. I would even rename the Liberty and wash off the last bit of "Patriotic/ Macho Chic" filth that Daimler tossed all over the brand.

Next step is improving quality and reliability, and that starts with the little things: make sure the leaky tops and rattles are kept to a minimum. I don't care if "it's a Jeep thing", there's no excuse for it these days.

Sethc84 10-28-2009 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kastiron (Post 1403114)
Dodge loses Grand Caravan? So, no more minivans?

Isn't that a big share right now? Maybe sticking with the Chrysler T&C but didn't mention?

My wife will be ticked off about no minivans, but I don't care. Maybe the end of the 3.8L V6.. :wink:

I believe the Caravan and Grand Caravan were 2 different vehicles. The Grand Caravan being a longer wheel base. That is the one they will be getting rid of, not the Caravan. Thats like dodge's bread and butter. Stow and Go!:rotflmao2:

BillionDollarDan 10-28-2009 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by EyeDoc (Post 1402659)
Maybe this means they'll have more time to focus on a hemi wrangler.... ah who am I kidding:naw:

:rotflmao2::rotflmao2::rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

Spyderman64 10-28-2009 06:35 AM

Actually, the standard wheelbase Caravan was discontinued some time ago. It appears that Dodge will no longer sell minivans; all future minivan sales will be Chrysler Town and Countrys.

Lorrel 10-28-2009 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This may not be a bad thing.
I know back in 74 I had a Fiat 124 sport. This thing was awsome, lightweight and had about 120HP.
Attachment 32119
Mine was yellow with a black top and black interior

spinlock 10-28-2009 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lorrel (Post 1404085)
This may not be a bad thing.
I know back in 74 I had a Fiat 124 sport. This thing was awsome, lightweight and had about 120HP.
Attachment 32119
Mine was yellow with a black top and black interior

How reliable was it?

atuldo 10-28-2009 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by spinlock (Post 1404187)
How reliable was it?

well some of them(fiat 500,600,850...)came from dealer with spare engine...

BBirish 10-28-2009 01:50 PM

Wow theyre getting rid of a lot! I think this is good for the brands themseleves i just hope they can stay in business

jeepnick 10-28-2009 02:05 PM

i think to replace the commander to do up a wrangler unlimited like a j8 and extend the back like a defender 110 or 130. hemi maybe a cummings diesel, 7 seater, make the rear most seats face each other. beef up the towing to like 10000 so you could acutally tow a jeep with it. it think it would be a big hit. works for land rover, defender 90 110 130, to buy a 130 in the states you would pay like over 100g's and it would be an 1983 cause i think thats the only year the sold them here. even do like heavy duty pick ups and quad cabs off of it, with iveco being owned by fiat there is no reason not to coincide with jeep and do this, i would but i 130 like jeep
just a though

http://www. eastcoastrover.com/Defenders.html

Kahuna Mas 10-28-2009 02:07 PM

This is a good thing Chrysler was way over SKUed. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Cutting the SKUs will help tremendously with their cost structure.

Mariner 10-28-2009 03:42 PM

yea bring on the iveco diesels

realjeep 10-29-2009 09:00 AM

Fiat is Italian wouldn’t it be cool to have a wrangler that could go as fast as a Ferrari? Ok maybe not over the rocks but it would sound cool.:thumbsup:

jeepnick 10-29-2009 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by realjeep (Post 1405694)
Fiat is Italian wouldn’t it be cool to have a wrangler that could go as fast as a Ferrari? Ok maybe not over the rocks but it would sound cool.:thumbsup:

fiat ownes iveco google them they have some badass 4x4's