Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler Stays other Jeep models axed in Fiat restructuring of Chrysler

Old 10-27-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrangler Stays other Jeep models axed in Fiat restructuring of Chrysler

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6599...ead/index.html

Read that article today... looks like some big changes for Chrysler as a whole with a lot of models getting the boot... Of course no changes for their meal ticket right now which is the Wrangler.... Maybe this means they'll have more time to focus on a hemi wrangler.... ah who am I kidding
Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to wonder what that would do to price and availability. Also wonder if the jeep brand could survive with one or two models only. May be buying a Dodge Wrangler in the future eh?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

The plan sounds good to me. Kill off all of the crappy products.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

wow, i dont know if thats going to work out for them. its good that jeep is getting rid of that stuff. But dont get rid of it completely, those are good vehicles, redisgn or rename them with dodge or chrysler. they are cutting some convinent vehicles, and they are going to lose alot of market. then again, if this all goes through, it should be an interesting 5 years and maybe we will see some slick vehicles coming out!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

YAY WRANGLER!!! Keep 'em comin'!

Here's Fiat's 500:

Here's their 500 I used to drive in Sicily in '74-'76!

Wonder how either one would look with 33's and a Lift? Hmmmm!

Cheers!

BB
Old 10-27-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

bring on the wrangler panda ! (hemi powered of course)
Old 10-27-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2vpblaze
wow, i dont know if thats going to work out for them. its good that jeep is getting rid of that stuff. But dont get rid of it completely, those are good vehicles, redisgn or rename them with dodge or chrysler. they are cutting some convinent vehicles, and they are going to lose alot of market. then again, if this all goes through, it should be an interesting 5 years and maybe we will see some slick vehicles coming out!
I had a similar initial reaction this morning when I read the article in the Wall Street Journal, but this could all be a good thing.

Fiat turned itself from failing car company to an automotive conglomerate that rivals GM in its hey day. It owns companies that were on financial skid row like Lancia, Alpha Romeo, Maseratti, Ferrari and Iveco. It managed to weed out the poor performers and rebuild a compacted version of each brand. In addition it has started up global operations in places like Spain, Poland and Brazil amongst others.

It certainly knows how to restructure auto manufacturers, albeit it has never done so with one the size of Chrysler. It's compact vehicle technology could be very useful in rebuilding Chrysler as a whole. Fiat has a good product development process, which is sorely needed by Chrysler (and GM for that matter). They have also been able to transfer manufacturing processes and technology between their holdings. This *could* lead to improved quality control on JKs and the option of either a 400 ft-lb diesel truck engine or a 700 HP V12 engine. Try calling that a Mall Crawler!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dodge loses Grand Caravan? So, no more minivans?

Isn't that a big share right now? Maybe sticking with the Chrysler T&C but didn't mention?

My wife will be ticked off about no minivans, but I don't care. Maybe the end of the 3.8L V6..
Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Hopefully that's a good thing...I didn't see any mention of having the Fiat Panda brought over to the US under the Jeep label, maybe they reconsidered that and canned it also.

I think Jeep will survive with the Wrangler and Cherokee lines alone. Seems from the article, they are restructuring to each brands specialties, opposed to having full lines under each name.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

shouldn't we be grieving over the loss of the Compass?

After all, where are we going to get our doner hemi's for our Wranglers!

Quick Reply: Wrangler Stays other Jeep models axed in Fiat restructuring of Chrysler