Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler vs Commander?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler vs Commander?

How does the commander, with mods (lift, tires, etc, like any wrangler would have) compare to the wrangler as far as going off road?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recently traded my 2006 Commander for a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. The Commander is complete junk. It handles like crap on the road - about like a 70's Caddy. Off-road, it's so low to the ground, even with lift that it's going to be less capable than a stock Wrangler of any kind. I have far more room in the Wrangler Unlimited than I did in the commander. I'm 6'3" and my fiance is 6'. When we were sitting in the front seats there is no room for anyone in the back at all. I can sit comfortably in my Unlimited and there is plenty of room for backseat passengers. I was so glad to get rid of that piece of junk Commander that several times I contemplated ramming it into a telephone pole and collecting the insurance money.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife had a '07 Commander and I liked it. The dimensions are very similar to a JKU. If you look at the specifications they are about the same. I thought it drove well on the highway (rides better than my JKU). If you look at the specifications they are about the same. The biggest difference I see off road is the potential to damage sheet metal.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Super Freak

JK is more online with the WK. The WK's wheelbase is a couple of inches shorter; as such, it's breakover angle is better than the JK. Off-road they are REAL close based on my wheeling with several. JK was hands down better aside from the breakover.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I drove a 07 Commander for a year before I got my JKU. There is no comparison on ride quality. The Commander is very smooth. Room in it is great - hauled home a washer and a refrigerator in it. (Seperatly of course) I never took mine anyway except light trails. I did not like how it was "always" in 4 wheel drive rather than being able to put it into 4 wheel like the Wrangler. It was nice in the snow too.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

The girlfriends mom has one with the hemi and its a beast in the snow. Don't know about off-road. It rides nice and hauls ass. I'd take one.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyEng875
How does the commander, with mods (lift, tires, etc, like any wrangler would have)
Do they make more than a 2" lift for them? And the 2" will let you go all the way up to the stock 32" tires that come on JK's?

The hemi in the commander is the much better choice for on-road driving. Off-road, there is absolutely no comparison between the two.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know how one could compare the two. Our Commander (as a 4x4) is best used taking another couple Sking. Plenty of Luxury and Comfort with the Limited Pkg and the 5.7. My wife loves hers, So does our Yellow Lab, it's easy for him to jump in and out of, plus with the Rear Air Cond. everyone is Happy. Compared to the JK, well lets just say Solid Axles and the ability to Ford two plus feet of water & then hose it out when you get Home.??? Umm, not sure they are Compairable.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StuFarmer
I don't know how one could compare the two. Our Commander (as a 4x4) is best used taking another couple Sking. Plenty of Luxury and Comfort with the Limited Pkg and the 5.7. My wife loves hers, So does our Yellow Lab, it's easy for him to jump in and out of, plus with the Rear Air Cond. everyone is Happy. Compared to the JK, well lets just say Solid Axles and the ability to Ford two plus feet of water & then hose it out when you get Home.??? Umm, not sure they are Compairable.
I meant as comparing their off road capabilities.. I wasnt sure if the 4x4 system was the same, if it had solid axles or what.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CerOf
JK is more online with the WK. The WK's wheelbase is a couple of inches shorter; as such, it's breakover angle is better than the JK. Off-road they are REAL close based on my wheeling with several. JK was hands down better aside from the breakover.
The WK... As in the current production Grand Cherokee? I think the Commander was called the XK.

Quick Reply: Wrangler vs Commander?