Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrong axel gear ratio from factory!?!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Replace for a JK with the proper gearing
Swap gears - $1-$2k, depending
Swap in a Rubi tcase - (you like the onroad performance, so this may be your best bet)

Anything other than swapping vehicles may turn into a warranty issue, as the new gears or tcase were not factory installed. Then again, if you plan on bigger tires in the future, it is really a non-issue as you will be re-gearing anyway.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was an issue early on with getting the 3.73 gears with the trailer tow. The only way you could guarantee them earlier in the process was to order Max Tow. That has since changed, but I actually haven't read what people have been doing to fix the situation. I think most knew before they took delivery (by getting build sheet, checking window sticker, etc.), and refused it (the dealer will be able to sell them... plenty of people who don't know what axle gears are/mean).
Old 09-11-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lighting Guy
There was an issue early on with getting the 3.73 gears with the trailer tow. The only way you could guarantee them earlier in the process was to order Max Tow. That has since changed, but I actually haven't read what people have been doing to fix the situation. I think most knew before they took delivery (by getting build sheet, checking window sticker, etc.), and refused it (the dealer will be able to sell them... plenty of people who don't know what axle gears are/mean).
I first found out about this issue on another Wrangler forum after placing my order. Another member informed me he went to his dealer and had their rep make the change to the build sheet. It worked, but had to be done before going D1 status. I did the same (change made 1 day before going D1), and I got my updated build sheet with the 3.73 as I originally ordered.

I think the issue is fixed now on the ordering system. I personally wouldn't have accepted the Jeep with the 3.21 gearing though :/
Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the press release Jeep did on the 2012's in Oregon, they said that base towing capacity on the 2012's is 2000 lbs.

Quick Reply: Wrong axel gear ratio from factory!?!