Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wtf? Had Death Wobble Today!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of reports of death wobble on both stock and lifted rigs. They both have the same problem for the same reasons

The easiest is to look at the Steering Stabilizer. They seem to leak with an amazingly high accurance. Also everything in the front end must be torqued to specs. Things can lossen up even stock Jeeps. I have seen numerous posts that corrected the issue after finding a loose track bar.

I am sure that others can give you additional comments on reasons, how to troubleshoot it and how to correct it.

Mike
Old 03-24-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was definetly the death wobble. The steering wheel shook uncontrollably until I hit about 20 mph. I did all I could do to keep it straight. I was doing 45-55 mph when it happened, the road conditions were dry and bumpy. I will check the steering stabilizer and the other things mentioned in the previous thread. I drove another 160 miles after that without the problem, only the roads were in much better condition. I just got home from work now and that was 65-70 miles round trip @ 65-80mph. No problems, again the road was in better condition. It happened on a real rough (under construction ) road. It sometimes feels squirrley going over rough pothole type roads. Maybe a better stabilizer will do it.
Any recommendations?
Thanks,
John
Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heyspike
It was definetly the death wobble. The steering wheel shook uncontrollably until I hit about 20 mph. I did all I could do to keep it straight. I was doing 45-55 mph when it happened, the road conditions were dry and bumpy. I will check the steering stabilizer and the other things mentioned in the previous thread. I drove another 160 miles after that without the problem, only the roads were in much better condition. I just got home from work now and that was 65-70 miles round trip @ 65-80mph. No problems, again the road was in better condition. It happened on a real rough (under construction ) road. It sometimes feels squirrley going over rough pothole type roads. Maybe a better stabilizer will do it.
Any recommendations?
Thanks,
John
This is an active thread

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/what-kind-steering-stabilizer-you-using-33275/

I have read enough about the leaky SS that I will probably just replace mine as soon as it comes in. Which is suppose to be this week. Fingers Crossed.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dude, I feel for you on the DWobble! I put the Black Diamond 3" lift kit and had no problems even after I put the lift kit on, after I wrecked in the Talladega Forest here in Bama, it started the DW...I realized I was missing some bushings from my adj. track bar that Quadratec was supposed to send so with the kit! I got them to send them free of charge and put them on; still experieced a slight wobble on rough roads, then got my all my tires balanced today, and it still does the wobble; I'm thinking I need the front end aligned now(toe in)...I hope that will be the solution to the wobble but I hope you can figure it out a cheaper way than I did. Good luck, Forrest
Old 04-02-2008, 11:28 PM
JK Newbie

I own a 4 month old 2007 Jeep JK and had this happen to me today. I was driving on a good and flat blacktop when it took place. Thought my wheels were going to fall off also. I'm taking it in to the Dealer to see what's wrong.

Anybody know what the problem is for sure? Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update: Had Jeep in dealer all week, they replaced the steering stabilizer. I told them it felt like the stabilizer was broken, or something was out of torque or loose. You have to suggest stuff to these guys! I will keep you updated , I should know in a week or so if it fixed it. The dealer said it was not leaking, but weak. It does feel a little tighter, but the open highway and bumps will be the proving ground.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

yea you should be good hopefully. i had that same prob and they replaced my SS, i have bigger tires so i think im gonna just upgrade my SS to a stronger one
Old 04-04-2008, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to upgrade mine too, but I wanted the dealer to fix it first! I asked for a 5 tire rotation while I was there, They only did 4! I think that's it for this 5 star dealer.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

does the death wobble show up in the both the 2 and 4 door.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is a 4 door, can't speak for the 2 Doors.

Quick Reply: Wtf? Had Death Wobble Today!!!