Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

WTF? Why didn't Jeep just build the door surrounds into the roll bar?

Old 04-29-2008, 02:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Is this your first Jeep? The JK is light years ahead of the TJ/YJ when it comes to soft top wind noise. I couldn't believe how quiet it is.
X2 on this, and I think the answer is "Yes."

As far as why they didn't build the surrounds into the roll bar, three reasons:
1) Not everyone runs a soft-top. I have both tops, and the hard-top won't fit on with the surrounds...
2) Cost. I'm sure that they could engineer some one-size-fits-all surround set-up that the hard-top would fit over top of of, but at what cost (not just materials, but R&D as well)? You can bet that it's a lot cheaper for them to provide the plastic snap-out surrounds that we have now.
3) As others have written, it looks better when you're going topless/doorless to have the surrounds out altogether. Yes, it's a superficial reason, but they have an iconic image to maintain.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

But I think that you could engineer it to look amazing and MUCH cleaner than the current mess. Push the roll bars out a couple inches to where they are part of the body and actually touch the doors. Where both the A/B/C pillar are integrated as one with the roll bars in a sleeker design.

You could still take the doors off and then it just a matter of building both the hard & soft tops slightly different. Whats so hard about that?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by benmar2000
Yeah.. I don't think he has ever driven a CJ/YJ/TJ before.. My YJ soft top would flap and be as noisy as it could be on the hiway.. My JK soft top is so much quieter.. And alot easier to take down and put up.. Try putting a top on a YJ in the pouring rain and having to fight that front window channel..
I had a 1973 CJ5 with 35s and a bikini top...sure the other top flapped, but I expected it and drove my toyota during inclement weather.

I also had a 1995 Jeep YJ, but totaled it after 2 months.

Look, I love my JK and the top is amazingly quiet, but the fact that they could create such a great vehicle has kinda spoiled me and made me wonder why more improvements cant be made.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

If they did design it that way it might look too much like a big Suzuki Samurai.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alot of things DC does will never make sense. But there is nothing like a Jeep.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

While driving my CJ, there was definitely no cell talk even at red lights and had to put the ipod earbud in one ear for tunes or I really would have had to crank them. Give thanks for my JK every day!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 PM
JK Super Freak

3. the sunlit sky appears blue because air scatters short-wavelength light more than longer wavelengths. Since blue light is at the short wavelength end of the visible spectrum, it is more strongly scattered in the atmosphere than long wavelength red light. The result is that the human eye perceives blue when looking toward parts of the sky other than the sun.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I've wondered about that. You never know what you are going to learn on this Forum.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Super Freak

My YJ with the top on sound like being in a hurricane with a tent.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they built it that way it be more like a really big sunroof.. The softtop on the jk is way quiet,, if yours isnt,, did you put it on right? I have a hardtop too which is even quieter,, but I ditch it as soon as I can for the summer softtop.. If it still bothers you get a linner,, make it even quieter..
Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Funny thing is...that if they redesigned the door surrounds into the roll bar/pillars, it might even make putting the top up & down MUCH EASIER!

Has anyone on here seen the top on an H1?

Quick Reply: WTF? Why didn't Jeep just build the door surrounds into the roll bar?