Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

X or Rubicon? Take a look, advice wanted

Old 08-25-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brigitta
If you can swing it, a better factory equipped vehicle decreases the chances of trouble on the trail.
True. But from my perspective it's better to be paid off in stock Jeep than owing 10K in one when it might not be necessary. And like you said, you've walked out plenty in well equipped rides. If the OP can swing it (meaning pay the difference, or all of it in cash, then go for it. If not, he/she can always build as they go.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went the X route and put a lot more than $10K into it...but, I wish I would have bought the Rubi instead of upgrading an X. Just my 2cents...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by RuBob
Where do people get the $10,000 difference from?
<SNIP>
An X S-pkg with rear locker and electronic disconnect would be ~$3,600 MSRP and ~$2,800 Invoice less than the Rubicon.

Remaining differences would be:
4:1 transfer case
Dana 44 front axle
4.10 gears
front locker
32" MT tires (you can sell these if/when you replace them)
rock rails (same as above)
subwoofer
YES Essentials cloth
Thank you for posting these figures! This gives an accurate comparison for anyone considering which to buy. That's a lot of goodies for $2800... then you can get to moddin' yer new Rubi with the $7200 (left over from the fictional 10k difference between X and Rubicon).

For the last 6 years everytime this topic has come up the numbers are always comparing a loaded-to-the-gills Rubi vs a Stock X with no back seat or carpet.

Last edited by Dubya; 08-25-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

My 2008 Rubicon with dual tops, tinted windows, tow package.
Was 29550. I have seen X's run 25,000. Without the hardware.
I hope it was a fair deal.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Wow thanks for all the replys everyone,

Just to say where I got the 10,000 dollar difference from on the X and Rubicon my dealer has an X for 21,000, and the Rubicon he has is 31,500. Thats where my difference was, and ofcourse its skewed because the rubicon has some extras on it, but thats all I had to work with in this location. But thanks to some advice on here and from the fiance, I am going with the Rubicon, and we are thinking of ordering one with everything we want on it, so all I will have to upgrade later will be a lift, tires, and winch and bumpers. Thanks for the replys any other advice is welcome, oh and the dealer said it would take 6 months minimum to order a new rubicon, is that about right?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by redmonkey
Wow thanks for all the replys everyone,

Just to say where I got the 10,000 dollar difference from on the X and Rubicon my dealer has an X for 21,000, and the Rubicon he has is 31,500. Thats where my difference was, and ofcourse its skewed because the rubicon has some extras on it, but thats all I had to work with in this location. But thanks to some advice on here and from the fiance, I am going with the Rubicon, and we are thinking of ordering one with everything we want on it, so all I will have to upgrade later will be a lift, tires, and winch and bumpers. Thanks for the replys any other advice is welcome, oh and the dealer said it would take 6 months minimum to order a new rubicon, is that about right?

He could just get you a Rubicon from another dealer instead of waiting for an order. Ask him to do a search with the exact options you want.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wished I had sprung for the rubi..mainly for the 44's and 4:1 t-case.But at the time they did not have any rubis within 5-600 miles and did not want to wait 3 months for it.I guess I should have waited
Old 08-27-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

THE FOLLOWING IS STRICKLY MY OPINION!!!

I see alot of figures thrown out there on this thread, but I did alot of research before buying mine, and around here there is a 5-7 grand difference in the X and a simularly equpiped Rubi. All the extras are prob worth the 6 grand IF YOU USE THEM ALL

4:1 transfer case - would not personally use this
Dana 44 front axle - Would not personally use this
4.10 gears - 3.73's are good enough for me
front locker - would not personally use this
32" MT tires (you can sell these if/when you replace them) - gonna swap mine out for these <$500
rock rails (same as above) - bought a new set on this forum for $100
subwoofer - does not help talk radio much
YES Essentials cloth - this would be nice, but I got black seat,, so not many stains will show

- I don't do enough rock crawling in the JK (thats what the CJ is for) to have made it worth getting the Rubi. So for $600 I got everything that I wanted out of the Rubi.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
The divisiveness on the other Jeep forums is why I tend to stay around here. On other forums it's always my TJ or my YJ or JK or CJ.....always knocking one over the other. Here, at least most of the time, it's all about JK's. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I would rather have a guide with a box-stock 1969 CJ who knows what he's doing and can wench, than some cowboy in a tricked-out Rubicon (or any over weight, over equipped Jeep) lead me into and out of the "stuff" any day. Again it's more about the driver than the vehicle. A lot of people who think their Jeep add-ons will get them, or keep them, out of trouble get into more trouble than the guy in the 4-banger Toyota 4 Runner who takes it easy and stays out of trouble.
How about your experienced guide with a tricked out Rubicon. Seems like that is the most sensible solution.

I don't get over weight - Rubi weighs the same as an X.

I don't get over equipped - Is there such a thing? Stronger axles, lower gearing, lockers etc... seem to be the norm for X Jeeps that have been built up.

You act as if all Rubicon owners are morons and owners of lesser equipped vehicles are wise and all knowing.

I feel like I'm sitting in church on a Sunday afternoon....

I try to stay out of unproductive justification arguments, but this is rubbing me the wrong way.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an X,, I would have preferred a Rubicon, but just couldn't afford it.. I will probably add some form of front locker eventually to my X. But do not off road enough to need lockers at both ends. Again I probably do not really need a D44 front diff, but would have liked it.

If you can afford it, a Rubi is nice. If not, so are Xs.

Quick Reply: X or Rubicon? Take a look, advice wanted