Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Yakima Bike Racks

Old 04-02-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yakima Bike Racks

Anyone either have the "sparetime" that mounts to the spare tire mounting bracket, or the "doubledown" that goes into the hitch?

I like the sparetime the best, however I am concerned I have a 35" tire already on the stock spare mount and adding a rack and two heavy bikes could be getting to be a tad much in regard to weight. I will add when the gate is closed the bottom of the tire does rest on the stock bumper to relieve what I would assume some of the weight. Does the bottom of the this preclude being able to use the hitch to tow without removing it (rack)?

As far as the double down...does it fold down far enough (flat) so the tailgate can be opened? I saw a video of it, and they did not fold it all the way down so I am thinking maybe it only goes down a certain amount.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasChopper
Anyone either have the "sparetime" that mounts to the spare tire mounting bracket, or the "doubledown" that goes into the hitch?

I like the sparetime the best, however I am concerned I have a 35" tire already on the stock spare mount and adding a rack and two heavy bikes could be getting to be a tad much in regard to weight. I will add when the gate is closed the bottom of the tire does rest on the stock bumper to relieve what I would assume some of the weight. Does the bottom of the this preclude being able to use the hitch to tow without removing it (rack)?

As far as the double down...does it fold down far enough (flat) so the tailgate can be opened? I saw a video of it, and they did not fold it all the way down so I am thinking maybe it only goes down a certain amount.

Thanks

2 bikes on a 35 without a tire carrier? No thanks. Its a different kind of weight also, putting your bikes a foot or 2 off of your door mount creates more torque on the top bolts... not to mention it will bounce.

I have a yakima 4 bike hitch carrier and it works fine, it doesnt fold all the way down but its far enough to open the swing out carrier and door and load/unload stuff out of the back.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the spare time and like it just fine and I have a 35" spare. But not on a stock carrier.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great...Thanks a lot hdrider, you just cost me a 1000 bucks...because now I want the bumper/setup you have. Very clean looking how it lines up to the flares.

Appreciate the input, and the pics.

Quick Reply: Yakima Bike Racks